1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 after xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by funky_munky, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funky_munky

funky_munky Thread Starter

I was speaking with someone about installing windows 98 on my pc after xp has been installed and I was informaed that if i had partition magic I could set xp as a hidden partition and safely install 98without affecting the ability of xp to boot after changed back from hidden to active. Is this true and has anyone done it ?

2. tnik

tnik

yes.. the order that operating systems (windows based anyways) is old to new.. so to do it correctly without 3rd-party partition software, you would have to install 98, then XP, but you can do it the other way how you were told..

3. DVOM

DVOM

funky_munky, yup, that's the way I do it.

The partition you want to put 98 on will have to be primary.

You'll want a third logical partition for data as neither OS will be able to see the other due to the "hiding/unhiding" of the primary OS partitions.

You'll have to use BootMagic (comes with PartitionMagic) to switch between OS's.

4. funky_munky

funky_munky Thread Starter

thank you both so much. I'll give it a try this evening and post back if I have any problems...Thanks again.

5. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Dual Boot After The Fact
    I found this tip in an email I get from PC Magazine

I want to run both Windows 2000 Pro and Windows 98 SE on my computer.
    When I bought a new hard drive, I installed Windows 2000 on it first.
    But my subsequent research seems to indicate that I should have installed Windows 98 SE first
    and then Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
    How do I remove Windows 2000 from the drive so I can partition it and then install
    Windows 98 SE first and reinstall Windows 2000?

You don't have to remove Windows 2000.
    Start by installing Windows 98 SE in a different partition.
    When you're done, insert the Windows 2000 CD and reboot to start Windows 2000 setup.
    On the Welcome to Setup page, press R (for Repair).
    When you reach the Windows 2000 Repair Options page, press R again.

You'll then be prompted to select a repair option.
    Press M for Manual. Then press the Up Arrow until Verify Windows 2000 system files is highlighted;
    press Enter to clear this selection.
    Press the Down Arrow to select Continue (perform selected tasks), and then press Enter.

The system will ask whether you have an emergency repair disk.
    Press L, indicating it should Locate your existing installation.
    Once it does so, press Enter to complete the repairs.
    This will establish dual boot for you. (This procedure also works for Windows XP.)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've installed a number of W98 and MS-DOS dual boots after the fact on 2K/XP systems. There are a couple of neat tools that will make it possible. BOOTPART and BOOTSECT. With these two, it's pretty easy to install the W9x or MS-DOS O/S and then repair the NT loader after the fact.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice