1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'98 install creates 2 system directories

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by robn, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robn

robn Thread Starter

I recently had to format my harddrive and reinstall '98SE. I noticed however that rather than installing to one directory (i.e. c:\windows) the install wrote to both a c:\windows directory as well as a c:\windows.000 directory. Each directory contains different system files.

Why did this happen and how can I remove the c:\windows.000 directory yet make sure that windows knows the correct path for those files in it?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If your computer works ok why mess with it?

No really, if you formatted your HDD then with no directories created before you started install Setup prompts you if you want to use c:\Windows to install to and then creates the directory for you.

You can then answer the question best yourself. Did you tell Windows Setup to use a different directory? And if not then did you create a Windows directory before the install?

Otherwise since I've done dozens of formats and installs successfully, I know that if there is (A) only one primary DOS partition and (B) if the HDD is devoid of directories you create before the install (format wipes everything but partitions), there will be no other Windows directory created.

If you put cab files in a directory you named Windows and ran the install from there and not a Windows install CD on your HDD you may have confused Windows Setup.

Say how I can assist you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice