1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by slyaccord, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slyaccord

slyaccord Thread Starter

well i'm trying to reinstall windows 98 on my friends computer....the cd i'm using is second edition, he doens't care about anything on his computer, but i'm trying to install it and it says i need a upgrade disk, is there a way i can format his harddrive and then install it with this disk? or am i just completely screwed in reinstalling 98 on his computer

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

This all depends on the type of Win98se CD you are using. If it is a full version, there should be no problem. I would format the HDD, boot to a floppy, and then install Win98.

If you are just wanting to reinstall Windows...you could see if you can just do it from the DOS prompt (assuming the computer manufactuer already left the CAB files on the HDD). For example, many Compaq computers left the Win98 setup files on the HDD in the c:\windows\options\cabs directory. If you want and you have the same situation, many Windows problems are resolved by just running Setup.exe from the Command Prompt from this directory. It will reinstall Windows over itself, and usually does a good job.

There are some problems that are encountered (like a license.txt file that may cause problems), but usually everything is kosher.

3. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

Or I think maybe you can just go to the screen when you pick Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, etc. select Command Prompt or something like that and type in "format c:" That should format the drive and then you can boot off the disk.

4. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

Sorry, my posts are short.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice