98 laptop install without

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dark4une

I have a sony vaio laptop PCG-748 without a CD rom, I purchased a PCMICA CD Rom so it would have one for installs and music etc...
The operating system on the laptop became unstable and now I can no longer access it but without a CD Rom I do not know if it is possible to reinstall operating system is there a work around or a way to get dos to recognize the PCMCIA card CD Rom?

Thanks

No,without a CD it is useless IMHO.Have a look in C:Windows,the set up files should be in
there.If you can find the file with the icon you'll be familiar with from downloading exe
files-you can double click it to run Setup.Installing without a CD Drive is (dare I say) not
possible.The graphic for the Icon is a CD but the file is on the HD.

dark4une said:
I have a sony vaio laptop PCG-748 without a CD rom, I purchased a PCMICA CD Rom so it would have one for installs and music etc...
The operating system on the laptop became unstable and now I can no longer access it but without a CD Rom I do not know if it is possible to reinstall operating system is there a work around or a way to get dos to recognize the PCMCIA card CD Rom?

Thanks
in the bios, some laptops will have PCMCIA options, have you checked it?

dark4une,

What is "The operating system on the laptop...." ???

Do you have a copy of the operating sytem [or system restore] on a CD ??

Does the CD drive you have plug into the PCMICA port ???

dark4une

Answers as follows:
I have not figured out how to get into the bios on this laptop.
OS is win 98se
Yes I have a disk
CD ROM does plug into a PCMICA slot

Thanks for the help so far.

dark4une

I figured out how to get into the bios there does not appear to be any PCMICA options.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online