1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 not recording from mic

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JoeD., Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

For no appearant reason, Windows 98 Sound Recorder won't record anymore. The mic is working because you can hear it through the speakers. I have checked all what I know to check and nothing seems to be out of place. Any deep thoughts about this? (-:

2. gbscomp

gbscomp

Just a thought, I had this problem happen to me once. I couldn't get the recorder to work. I checked the sound properties, everything was setup the way it should be. The problem was actually the sound card software that came with the sound card. The software useds it's own settings that tookover the windows sound properties. The mic was actually disabled ?? go figure.

3. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

I am thinking about writing over with the Windows installation disk. I am not sure where or even if there is a sound card installation disk. Thanks for pointing me in the general vicinity.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Install any updated drivers for you sound card.

Check the settings in "Volume Control" in the taskbar and in "Multimedia" in the control panel.

Does your microphone work with any other programs that you would use it for?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

5. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

I think (95% sure) I have found the software for the sound card. Or at least it's a music player/recorder that came with the bauge box. Never messed with any of it though. As you suggested I went under control panel/mutimedia/mutimedia properties window and pointed all I could toward the above mentioned player. Now both the music center and window's recorder works. Thanks again O - great - one!!!!!!

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

Under Audio devices, 6 enteries of %Audio Serial.DevicesDesc% are the same but the one naming the sound card's software. All of them said the "driver was enabled but inactive due to unknown problem". After they were all unselected but the one, everything started working. Thanks again. Yes it's solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice