1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gaftop1, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

got tired of ME. partitioned a d drive. dragged the stuff i wanted to save into the d drive . formatted c drive and loaded 98 se.
    went to d drive. lost almost everything. the only thing that was intact was partition magic folder. the outlook express was completely gone. the address book was completely gone and all others only had a few files in thewm. what did i mess up?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Well, partioning, usually distroys everything. :(
    I am suprised anything survived.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Something is missing here. Did you start off with one large C: drive and then partition it into a C: and D: drive? If so, how die you do it? Did you use Partition Magic of die you use Fdisk to create the D: partition?

4. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

while in ME partitioned using partition magic moved the stuff i wanted to save into the new partition (D) then formatted the c: drive and installed 98

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

This may be a dumb question, but after you partitioned drive D: did you format it? You would have had to in order to move files from C: to D:

After the files were moved to D: did you verify that they were there before formatting C:?

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Boot from your boot disk and tyoe in the following commands:
    D:
    you should now see a prompt that looks like D:\>
    Next type in
    dir /s
    you should see the whole listing of your D: drive and at the end a summary that says the tells you X number of files, Y number of directories, and the amount of free space.

What do you get?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice