1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 SE can't obtain IP address from cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trenicks, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trenicks

trenicks Thread Starter

I have desktop with Windows 98 SE and I am trying to connect to my cable modem using a network card. My computer can't get an IP address from my broadband service so it assigns an autoconfiguration IP address and I can't get on the Internet.

I have tried two different network cards with the same result. I have connected a laptop to the cable modem and it works fine. I have also connected my desktop via USB to the cable modem and it works fine but I need to use Ethernet so that I can eventually use a router. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem?

2. Bait

Bait

is it set to obtain an IP address automatically? one thing that I always find helpful is winipcfg to see if the ethernet card is even installed. To open up winipcfg go to start>run and type in winipcfg it will open a window and you will be able to see all the adapters connected to your computer

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try power cycling the cable modem, this is necessary whenever you change the connected device.

4. trenicks

trenicks Thread Starter

My network adapter is setup to obtain an IP address automatically. I went to winipcfg and my adapter is listed in the dropdown box. I believe the connection between my PC and the modem is working because the PC activity light on the modem and the light on my network card are flashing.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Which doesn't remove the necessity of power cycling the modem if you changed attached devices...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/263538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice