1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 se or xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gaftop1, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

have an hp 933 mhz pentium 256 mb pc 133 and a 40 gig hdd. was going to put xp pro on it but the neighborhood computer wiz said it would run slow and lock up a lot ( like the ME i'm running doesn't ha) .said i'd be better off with 98 se because my computer was old. i had pro running on a 900 mhz duron with 256 mb pc 2100 and it ran fine.wadda ya think?

2. pileyrei

pileyrei

XP.....(y)

Hey, if it runs slow.....then put 98 on!

Good luck

Pileyrei

3. mobo

mobo

I had an 1100 cpu with 256 ram and after shutting down the unnessecary proceses i have never had a lockup. Xp does an extremely good job of managing system resources...As for my thoughts...XP all the way..

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

BUt you have to watch certain programs, because they will murder your comp, and its not always easy to find out whats doing it. Xp works, but it takes tweaking.

5. sharky

sharky

i had a celeron,pc100,633mhz,256mb,7.5gb,win98se

i installed XP 3 months ago and i LOVE IT! i can open 10 windows and no crashes. no more freezes,no more blue screens(well once). despite all the advice one should have at least a pen3 and bigger hard drive, i am glad i added XP.

with a 7.5gb hard drive, i can barely add other programs as XP takes a lot of space. but its worth it not to put up with win98 freezes,etc.

PS rereading my post,i did not install XP PRO,just XP.

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

BTW, to use XP you need lots of space for the near daily fixes and patches. The list after your first upgrade should be as long as your arm, or else you missed somthing.

Perhaps you should look into getting a cheap old HD, or look into buying an old computer with a cheap HD, The room on XP will really help.

7. greengeek

greengeek

I'm running XP Pro on a PII350, Celeron 633 and a Celeron 1700 and it runs fine on all machines. The two older ones only have 256MB of RAM and the 1700 has 512MB. I've had XP since it was released and never had a BSOD with it.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gaftop1:

You should be fine with a 933 MHz Pentium processor, but I would add another 256 MB of RAM. Windows XP is very memory-hungry. When it's run together with other apps, you'll find that 512 MB of RAM will handle everything much better.

Windows XP has a lot of "eye candy" that can be turned off to reduce its memory needs and boost performance.

Just to make sure that you don't meet with any nasty surprises, I would run the XP readiness test here first.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

9. PCfixer

PCfixer

If you just put the XP Pro disc in and run the compatability wizard, register the conflictions, and upgrade instead of formating then everything should be OK If its not, because you upgraded you should be able to just uninstall and revert back to your original OS. We have similar spec machines (Mine is a 900 AMD Tbird) and the only problem I've found is with games, I think this will come down to a chipset problem (I'm working on it, see forum) but everything else is working better than ever, when I ran the compatability test it came back with 6 conflictions, I caried on regardles and by the time it was installed the only confliction was my scanner, and I've got a patch for that on its way to fix hat.
    Be a devil and go for it........

10. EvileYe

EvileYe

I run XP Pro on a HP 333mhz Celeron with 256mb ram and also on an AMD k6 500mhz with 384 mb ram and I find it runs faster than 98se on both machines.

11. MotoMan

MotoMan

I have to agree with flavallee on this one.

XP does like to use RAM. I bought my wife a computer last year and installed XP pro on it for her (Pentium 1.2 gig processor, and 128 meg of RAM, shared video) the machine ran OK, but it was sluggish in some areas.

About 2 months ago I added another 512meg of RAM and it REALLY woke the machine up.

Good luck man.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice