1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 Start up / Desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DaveSS, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I'm stuck wth a laptop (toshiba satellite) running 98 that keeps booting up and showing the desktop as a white screen that Says desktop in the top left hand side. I right click and but a new backdrop on, and all is fine again until the next time it boots, and I'm stuck with this white screen with no icons again??

Any ideas, there nothing in the start up menu

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dave
    Not sure if I can help but see if you have active desktop set and uncheck it if it is. See if that helps. I vaguely remember something about IE6 causing a problem similar to this but I cannot find the article I read. Do you have all the updates for your system?

Dave

3. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.

Well I've updated 98 but the problem still exists. Not too sure how to turn off active desktop though?? Never got into 98 to be honest! It's on ie 5.5

I've twiddled and tweaked as much as I can but still this keeps happening?

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Right click your desktop and choose ACTIVE DESKTOP and see that VIEW AS A WEB PAGE is not checked.

If this doesn't cure it - get back.

- Castleheart

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice