98 Start up / Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaveSS

Hi Folks,

I'm stuck wth a laptop (toshiba satellite) running 98 that keeps booting up and showing the desktop as a white screen that Says desktop in the top left hand side. I right click and but a new backdrop on, and all is fine again until the next time it boots, and I'm stuck with this white screen with no icons again??

Any ideas, there nothing in the start up menu

Dave
Not sure if I can help but see if you have active desktop set and uncheck it if it is. See if that helps. I vaguely remember something about IE6 causing a problem similar to this but I cannot find the article I read. Do you have all the updates for your system?

Dave

DaveSS

Thanks Dave.

Well I've updated 98 but the problem still exists. Not too sure how to turn off active desktop though?? Never got into 98 to be honest! It's on ie 5.5

I've twiddled and tweaked as much as I can but still this keeps happening?

Right click your desktop and choose ACTIVE DESKTOP and see that VIEW AS A WEB PAGE is not checked.

If this doesn't cure it - get back.

- Castleheart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online