1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 Upgrade validation question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by milkydoo, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. milkydoo

milkydoo Thread Starter

I used to have a 95 full version disc. It has disappeared into the void over one of my many moves.

So, my 98 upgrade disc needs to be validated with a previous version of windows.............or does it?

I have an upgrade version of XP. Could this possibly work to validate my 98 disc? Does MS only check for 'another version' or specifically previous versions?

If XP won't work, is my 98 disc a coaster now?

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

Sorry, you need a previous os before using the win 98 upgrade cd.
    Thats why upgrade disks are usually half the price.

Surely you can find someone, a friend etc, with a Win98 cd & key, and there will be no registation issues with it. (you dont have to register it online like with xp)

Then you can use your xp upgrade cd, after installing 98.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You sure don't need to install Win98 first. When you install an upgrade version of XP, you will just be prompted to insert a Win98 CD

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

humbled by the master tech again thanks 4 the info!!!

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not at all. Just didn't want them to waste any time installing Win98 first.

6. tjamnz

tjamnz

Im imagining this could save at least 30 to 45 minutes then. cool.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And more importantly a much cleaner install.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The poster has two disks:

- A Windows 98 Upgrade disk
    and
    - A Windows XP Upgrade disk

Can the poster install Windows 98? If so, can they use the Windows XP upgrade disk as validation?

Can the poster install Windows XP? If so, can they use the Windows 98 upgrade disk as validation?

I have no experience with either scenario, but it seems neither of you addressed the actual issue.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that makes three ;-)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Before you switch operating systems, and since you mentioned having a Win95 CD at some point, just to make sure you are satisfied with the performance, can you give your computer's hardware. In particular, the processor speed, amount of memory, hard drive size and free space.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't get that the poster wants to change operating systems. They're asking if Windows 98 can be installed using a Windows 98 upgrade disk and a Windows XP upgrade disk. I can't answer, but I thought I'd clarify the point.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yikes, that is confusing. Sorry about that.

Now a Win95 upgrade disk can be validated by even a setup disk from DOS. But pretty sure you are going to need a full version of a Windows OS for a CD.

But let's back up a little. What exactly are you wanting to do and why?

For example, is your computer having problems and you want to do a clean install?

13. tjamnz

tjamnz

Hmm... i think that's why i advised them to find a full version 98 cd. becuase i knew they were both upgrade cd's initially, and since full ver win95 was lost. I thought at this point it would easily be the posters decision which ver they wanted to run. 98 or XP.

14. milkydoo

milkydoo Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to clarify a bit.

Objective: Find a way to validate my 98 upgrade CD.

As stated, my 95 cd is gone, or else it's buried somewhere deep a box. That is what I used before to validate my 98 upgrade.

I also used to have Win 3.1, but I may not have that anymore either. Typically I hold onto old stuff like that but I don't know what has happened to them.

As far as the system specs, ect. This system used to have 98 on it. It's an old one. I'm putting 98 back on so that my roommate can use it. The XP disc was installed on my newer system that I currently use.

Years ago I experimented and pinned down exactly what files 98 looked for to validate the upgrade, but I have forgotten all that now. I can do it again, but I'll just have to hope I can find either my lost 95 or 3.1 os's! Bummer!

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"this system used to have 98 on it."

What does it have on it now?
    Do you have all the necessary drivers for the hardware? Not everything is included with the OS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice