1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 vs. XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tarnishedwisdom, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tarnishedwisdom

Tarnishedwisdom Thread Starter

Hi, my harddrive recently crashed on my ME laptop, and I am going to have to reformat and reinstall an OS. I have a desktop with XP, and I have the XP disk, but I dont have the ME disk. I am considering just installing XP instead of ME but I was recently told by a friend that Microsoft can see what all is installed on an XP computer when ever it is connected to the internet. For instance, they have the capability of knowing if I am even authorized to have XP on my computer, or if I installed it without buying it. Is this true, or is it just a myth? If so, do I need to be worried every time I get on the internet, for fear that I might get a fine in the mail from Microsoft? The other option is to reinstall Windows 98, which is in my opinion, better than ME. I already own a copy of both 98 and XP, just not ME (dont know why really). What do you recommend I do? 98 or XP?

thanks in advance...

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

3. Tarnishedwisdom

Tarnishedwisdom Thread Starter

thanks for the info buck. greatly appreciated.

4. Dan O

Dan O

You should first check to see if your laptop is compatible with XP. Here's a link to download a list.

If it is I recommend you purchase another copy of XP, each PC must have it own license copy. Otherwise it will stop working if not Activated. The nice thing about XP is that most drivers are included on the CD and it is very reliable. The System Restore has saved me many times.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Tarnishedwisdom:

Personally, I'd install Windows 98SE on it. I've used it for over 2 years and I still think it's a good operating system. You run the risk of hardware and software compatibility problems with trying to upgrade to Windows XP. Besides, since you already have a computer with Windows XP, you can remain proficient with both operating systems at the same time.:)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

6. Flip Martian

Flip Martian

I'd echo that - I just bought a new PC a few months back and went for Win 98SE. Seem to have heard so many scare stories about thingss XP won't run, I really didn't want the hassle - my old PC ran Win98 SE and my software and hardware ok (not always perfect, but I usually knew what to do to fix it) so I figured why change?

A friend of mine swears Win ME is the best OS - but he's the only one I know who prefers it to Win98SE...maybe he just got lucky ;)

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

Win98 Rules - OK

Sorry I just had to say that - it's the way I feel

steam

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Geeky as I can be, have to agree with the last post. Win98 was a good sweet spot for an operating system.

ME was a bad marketing ploy. XP can get a bit complicated for the average user. Just look at all the posts on Microsoft's newsgroup. Things people never had to deal with are now major problems. And is it really that much more functional? It's the apps that really matter. And along that line, is OfficeXP that much better than Office97?

9. calabash

calabash

I have to say, from an administrative point of view as well as stability Win XP (the pain of hardware compliance aside), Win XP beats Win98.
    That being said..
    I cannot condone a piece of software that installs "spyware" and is being groomed to launch Palladium. We are signing away enough of our freedoms as it is. I vote with my pocketbook - I won't buy it.
    Yes, those that are mildly technically savy will find a way around it all, but that is supporting the criminalization of the average user. No one should have to rip out spyware in order to use what is left of our fair use rights.
    The following links might be instructive (or annoying depending on your POV),

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html for Palladium info

http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/ for fair use opinion

OTOH - any service packs we install on our older systems will probably get us to the same point, it'll just take longer and GPF our system more - LOL

10. Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Jesus...first time I'd read about Palladium. OMG!

I guess I should just get used to the idea that my PC now is how its going to be for quite a while, and I might have less choice in the s/w I can run next year. I'll cope...

I had an Atari ST - all I did in 7 years to change it was to add RAM. Yes, some software didn't run towards the end, but...

I use Office 2000 at work. At home I still use 97. Its fine - I'll never use all its facilities - why change?

I bought Steinberg Cubase 5.1 12 months ago. A few months later they were saying "upgrade to Cubase SX - btw you'll need to run on XP to run it properly". I use maybe 20% of what Cubase can do right now, why should I?!!

Some people always have to have the latest this and the upgraded that...if what you have works and does all you want, keep it (which brings me neatly back to Win98SE!). :)

11. TOGG

TOGG

Here's another thought provoking link to add to the gloom;

http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm

I imagine the smart people will be looking at Linux while the rest of us nurse our out of date Windoze along and start looking at Macs !!

12. Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Thanks for this - the kind of info which should be spread far and wide.

An acquaintance extolled the virtues of Macs a while ago - might have been tempted but for needing complete home compatibility with my work PC... Certainly seem more straight forward than PCs... Think I'll get me money's worth out of what I've got first...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice