1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98 won't boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by recassin, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. recassin

recassin Thread Starter

Hi

When I try to boot up my machine, everything looks fine until I get to the background screen and from there the system just hangs. After a couple of seconds I'll get an error message that says "Mprexe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". After this the only thing it'll let me do is shut my machine down.

After this, I booted my machine up in safe mode. I tried to run Ad-Aware and Spybot to see if the machine was infected and sure enough it is, although I'm not sure if that is what is preventing from normal start-up. With Spybot it shows me all the bugs on my machine, but when I try to delete them I get this message: "Fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C00078C0 current app will be terminated". Ad Aware wont even let me get that far and it'll give me the error before the program even finishes running and again all I can do is shut off my computer.

98 ME
    Amd 950 MHZ

Thanks in advance

R

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To solve the problem, delete the .PWL file associated with your login ID - e.g. recassin.pwl

3. recassin

recassin Thread Starter

Where is this file located and is it accesible in safe mode?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Find - Files And Folders, select the hard drive to look in, type in *.PWL and then click Find Now.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't need to boot to safe mode. Just press cancel at the login screen.

You also don't need to search for it. All *.pwl files are kept right in the \windows directory. Unless you have a lot of people logging on you can just open a dos window, CD \windows\ and then del *.pwl

6. recassin

recassin Thread Starter

i just got the chance to try that and i deleted all the .pwl files on my system. it still wouldn't get me past the screen hanging on startup. i looked in the dos bootup to see if i could disable the mprexe program from the startup mode but it wasn't on there so i'm still stuck. im thinking it's some form of a virus or another because there was some kind of program that automatically loaded on my computer the last time i was able to run my machine and it hasn't been the same since.

any other possible clues?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice