9800 Pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
I would look into purchasing a Better mobo from a company like ABIT, ASUS, Chaintech, Gigabyte, or MSI.

haplo210

thats my next port of call...too close to xmas tho to go spending any more money rite now though

I know you already bought your power supply, and I believe you made a wise decision, but I would just like to point something out to some of the people that said 300W isnt enough. Sure, a 300W foxconn PSU definitely isn't enough. On the other hand, Antec Truepower 310W PSU is more than addiquate for most of today's needs, and in fact, that is what I'm using as I speak. My athlon 2600+ is at 3500+, memory timings are overclocked to 2-3-2-5, I run a Geforce 4 Ti4600, 5 80mm case fans, 2 80mm cpu fans, hard drive, CD drive, ethernet card, neon lights everywhere, front LCD screen....my point is, I have had no troubles whatsoever with this PSU. In fact, if you look on the side of the PSU, it's actual rating is only 300W, and I guarantee it is able to handle more than most of the cheap 500W PSU's out there...
Basically, what I'm getting at here is that the quality and brand are more important than the wattage rating (in most cases). Of course there are exceptions to that....550W will handle anything you throw at it, regardless of the brand name or quality. By the way, my 5v, 12v, and 3v lines are all running within .1v of their voltage ratings :)
Well, I hope I didnt just make everyone stupider...yes, stupider :p
-X

i experience the same problem with a powercolor 9800 pro, although it's the 128mb version. the computer is fine, until i run a game. after about 5 minutes the computer will pause every few seconds, then eventually hang.

i read about the power supply, and i gave it a go. i attached a dedicated 550w psu. it made absoultly no difference what-so-ever. the power is not the problem here. it appears to be the drivers, at-least that's what my computer tells me. "Display driver for radeon 9800 pro" but i'm thinking more along the lines of the powercolor range isn't very good.

i am extremely dissapointed in the powercolor card, after reading various good reviews. it doesn't score much higher on 3dmark 2001SE than my geforce ti4200 (9000pts) compared to 10500pts for this radeon card. i expected it to score at least 15k-18k... :(

perhaps someone who has delt with this problem can reply here and help to solve these problems.

my cpu may be lacking, but my system should be causing no problems here. my guess is it's either the drivers or it's just a shite card.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Gigabyte K7 Triton400 Series (7VAXP Ultra)
Powercolor Radeon 9800 pro (128mb)
512 Kingston DDR @ 333mhz
Stormcool III WaterCooling (CPU & GFX)
550w Q-Tec Dual Fan Gold PSU

haplo210 said:
Im having extreme difficulties with my Powercolor 9800 Pro card.

When I have installed it, it runs perfect for a while. Then the frame rates drop untill it becomes unplayable. Then it crashes and wont rebbot.

I thought the problem to be overheating, so i purchased another fan for it, it works fine for a while then does the same.

The 9800 pro has an inbuilt fan tho'. Surely this should be powerfull enough to cool down the card itself?

I keep getting in contact with powecolor (TUL coporation) but they keeps ghetting me to unistall the drivers and try reinstalling them. Ive done this before...it doesnt work.

ATI told me to do it, foxconn (motherboard manufacturer) told me that the on-board VGA auto-diabled, so that rules out the software conflict.

Any1 got any idea's please?

Im getting rather fed up of this not working after the £140 spent on it.

Im runnign AMD Athalon 2600+XP, (~2.13GHz)
Windows XP SP1,
512Mb RAM
80GB HD
300w PSU

i dont see why it can be doing this?
well i can see that the 9800 pro needs to have its own source of power . the 1st poster is right . 9600 <-> 9800 needs to have enough power to run .. reccomended is 300w ..here you can check if your PSU has enough power-->
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
tick the boxes for the components you have and the result is at the bottom of the page .. hope this helps --
also make sure you have directX 9.0c

haplo210

i have dx 9c already. powercolor are useless tho. they offer no help whatsoever. try runing 3d mark 03. i can score 5100 on it. so the card is fine on mine. my psu is crap tho. i believe my problem lies with the agp driver now. i had 2 uninstal it and cant get it reinstaled. any help with reinstaling it would be great

1 you should use the ATI driver remove tool .
get that here ->http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...alystutils.html
uninstall the drivers with this ATI utility .
reboot the machine . when windows finds you new hardware =graphics card . dont let it install anything .. click canccel until the window stops asking .. now install the new ATI drivers for your card
get them here -> http://www.ati.com/ drivers are located @ bottom left of the page - leave everything @ default ( not unless you know what your doing )
reboot your machine .

haplo210

ill try that when i get home, gotta work the now. Ive tried this already im sure though not doing it this method.

timothye do you have any idea as to how to install the sis AGP driver? This is required to access my agp slot efficiently, however the clever people at powercolor got me to remove it and i cant get it back installed....im now seeing the benefit of having XP system restore...but i dont have any restore points...ugh!!!

X_Gamer7 said:
In fact, if you look on the side of the PSU, it's actual rating is only 300W, and I guarantee it is able to handle more than most of the cheap 500W PSU's out there...
Basically, what I'm getting at here is that the quality and brand are more important than the wattage rating (in most cases). Of course there are exceptions to that....550W will handle anything you throw at it, regardless of the brand name or quality. By the way, my 5v, 12v, and 3v lines are all -X
That's odd... you say your Antec is better than most cheap 500watters, then say a 550w should handle anything. It still applies... a cheap PSU is cheap, no matter what the wattage. You can buy a "600watter" for $25. But to me, those things aren't worth $5. I paid about $80 for my 360watt PSU - I could have pick up the "cool" blue-lit Clear-plastic 400watt for a few bucks less... but stability and noise was more important. (plastic covered PSU's don't block out the interfernce the way a well made metal case does. = more errors)

I'm not familer with NOVATECH (its a UK company) - but their 550watter is expensive (about $200 USD) while their thier 300 watter looks "cheap" - while the expensive 400+ watters looks decent (from what little I can tell from photos).

Compilerxp,
Yes, I meant what I said. There will be a gap somewhere where the best quality lower wattage PSU will get outbeat by a crappy higher wattage one.

under 50 quid????? oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh you will be really pushed. i know of a teriffic brand, savrow. expensive, yes but well worth it, they are VERY good ( my big bro just got one for his b/day, lucky git :(

i posted a link to it in a forum post a few days ago. i just dont have the time to find it right now (funeral to go to, my grandfather, died at 99, well, he was a priest)

haplo210

Soz about your gd obvious.
i got a cheap novatech one for just now, was meant to come tommorow, but they arsed up, they didnt register my card details, they phoned today when i was in a programming exam (damn c++ is solid to learn) and i couldnt phone them back till after four. So it wont be here till wed now, im working wed so ill not be in to collect it...eeek. lol. Ah well, theyre the dafties, u pay next day delivery then cos they dont log your card details i missed the cut-off point by 2mins. Damn it.

Ill invest in a decent one after xmas maybe, see how this one runs first

there are many many PS 's that are under 50 pounds - most only weigh in the ounces.

bahahhhahaah - i am sorry i just could not help myself with the lame joke.

you are from uk/lbs, i get it but couldn't resist the goofiness ;)

glad you found what you needed.

haplo210

Only thing i hav ewrong now is the damn agp driver failing to re-install. Ill fly for powercolor if i have to run the win 98 boot disk with fdisk on it again, itll be the fourth, maybee fith time since i got the graphics card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online