1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

9800GTX broken ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daniel_cooper, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daniel_cooper

daniel_cooper Thread Starter

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so pleased to meet you !!! Going to the facts, yesterday, while watching the intro video in the game "Skyrim", the screen got frozen and I had to reboot the pc with the start button. After it, the BIOS start screen showed green dots and lines and the next boot screen was full of $ simbols.
    In Windows, the graphic card was disabled (err 43) but I managed to enable it and restart normally the pc (without artifacts in BIOS screen). But when I load a game, I get the same problem.
    The card (and the pc) is about 3 years old. As I have read, it might be a HW fault (the card is dying) but before spending the money in a brand new graphic card, I want to be sure it is the culprit.
    If it is broken, is it possible that sometimes it works and sometimes it freezes ?
    I do not have the chance of testing my card in another pc or testing other card in my pc, so Is there a way to check the card to know whether it is broken or not?

This is my PC:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHZ FSB1333 6MB
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Socket 775
    MEM: DDR2 1000 - Mushkin Redline DDR2 PC2-8000 4GB 2x2GB 5-5-5-15
    PSU: Corsair HX620W Modular 620W
    GCARD: Point Of View GeForce 9800GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI-e 38
    SO: Windows 7 64 bits

Best Regards,

2. replay

replay

3. daniel_cooper

Good point! But I purchased the graphic card 3 years and two months ago :(

Best regards,

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is really no way that the average home has the ability to test a card other than trying it in another machine. It sounds like it may have overheated. If it has been in there 3 years and you haven't looked at it, dust may be a culprit, both on the cooling fins and the vents around the machine. If it has a fan on it, the fan may be stuck or have stopped, too. It would be a good idea to look around inside if you haven't done that.

Of course the other thing to try is another card in your machine if you have one or could borrow one. If that card works OK, then you would know that yours was the problem.

Checking for a driver update at NVidia would be a good idea, too. If it was disabled by Windows, it means that Windows detected something wrong that could have seriously damaged the system. Windows doesn't disable graphics cards, one of the most important components of a system, as a recreational pastime. That could be almost anything that was wrong with the card, even overheating. But bad drivers can lead to that same sort of problem, too.

5. daniel_cooper

Hi,

Thank you for the advices. I had a look inside the box the day the card failed and its fan (and the rest) was running. And I could see there was a lot of dust (altough I remember cleaned up it in the past). I will try to check the card in another pc. I hope I cand find one because nowadays my friends have laptops and play console games.....

Best Regards,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice