1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98se files needed to boot hard drive Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rachelm, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rachelm

rachelm Thread Starter

Hi I have a 98 pc im trying to boot. The floppy drive isn't working & its not seeing the cd rom. I can access the hard disk by putting it in another pc. I've copied the cab files over to the disk but its not being seen. can you please help with any info on what files i can copy over to enable it to boot. I dont know if i need drivers etc thanks in advance. ps i can access the internet to download anything i need to put on the disk :)

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

So... just to make sure I undertand the situation
    You have PC1, which doesn't recognize CD-ROM and Floppy Drive. It recognizes the hard disk,
    but the hard disk is presently not bootable, and you want to install Win 98 to this hard disk. You can move this hard disk to PC 2, and here you can copy everything that is needed to the hard disk.

Now, if this is the situation, I would recommend the following procedure.

Make sure you have a Win98 Boot Disk, and make sure there is a sys.exe (or sys.com?) file on it.
    Put the hard disk into PC 2 as primary master.
    Remove all other hard disks from PC 2 for security reasons.
    Boot up PC 2 from Win 98 Boot Disk, select CD-ROM support.
    If needed, with fdisk create new partitions. Note: Win 98 is fussy about which partition it would boot from. I don't remember quite well, but I think it must be the first primary partition on primary master IDE. Best is if you have only one partition on the disk.
    Format it, if needed.
    Clear the master boot record with this command:
    fdisk /mbr
    copy the system startup files from floppy (a: ) to hard disk (c: ) with this command:
    sys a: c:
    Make an appropriate folder on C: for the Win98 install files, e.g. "C:\Setup98"
    Put in the Win98 install CD. Change dir to the Win98 folder on the CD, e.g. "D:\Win98"
    copy everything from D:\Win98 to C:\Setup.
    Make another folder, and copy all the softwares, device drivers, etc. you will need to this folder. Because, if you don't have either CD-ROM or Floppy, you won't be able to install applications.
    Turn off PC 2.
    Note: Sometimes during the previous steps you may have to reboot PC 2. Do this always from Win98 Boot Disk, and with CD-ROM support.

Take the hard disk and put it into PC1 as primary master.
    Turn it on. If everything is OK, it will boot from the hard disk properly.
    After bootup change to C:\Setup98
    Type setup

Hope it works for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice