1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98SE headache

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doghouse dan, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doghouse dan

doghouse dan Thread Starter

After formatting my drive and re-loading Win 98SE, everything for the most part is working fine, except the volume control for audio output. I can find the .exe that is supposed to do this, but it just won't run. Additonal info, I replaced my Sondblaster Live! with a Gadget 8/24 card, but this setup was working fine before I formatted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Hi, and welcome to the TSG forum :) (y)

have you tried re-installing the driver for the Gadget 8/24 sound card

3. doghouse dan

*smacks forhead* :eek:

Why didn't I think of that (I am not being sarcastic!)? I focused on it being a Win98 issue and didn't even consider that!

*slinks away to hide head under pillow*

Thanks for being gentle!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    After formatting a hard drive and installing Windows, installing the drivers for the display adapter, sound device, and 56K modem and/or network card should be done. ;)

5. doghouse dan

Yes, I did load drivers after formatting. ETAF's suggestion jogged something for me, since I have multiple drivers for the Gadget card and thought that maybe I loaded the wrong ones. I reloaded, and the end result is I am getting sounds out the computer such as chimes and bootup sounds, and streaming stuff off the net, but I still can't open the volume control, or get sound out of any Windows sound app like the CD player or Windows Media Player.

The device manager tells me there is a generic PCI audio device installed that is not working properly (needs drivers, of course). This is not the Gadget card, that is showing up in a different location and is working fine. Could this mystery device be the problem? I tried throwing every audio driver on the WIN98 startup disc at it, but none of them stuck .

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have intergrated sound on the mother board

7. doghouse dan

I don't know. If I did, would I see an output jack other than the one on the sound card? How else can I determine?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. doghouse dan

Thanks, ETAF! As it is, there are no audio connectors other than those on the Gadget card, so I''m inclined to think the answer is "no", but I'll follow those links tonight when I get home and let you know what I find out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice