1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98SE Install issue for laptop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dark4une, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

I am installing Win 98se in a Stepnote SK laptop for a nephew (you don't have to tell me it'a peice of crap) anyway, I get this error message: :confused:

Message sv995035

An invalid command option was specified.
    Check the command line and try again, or type
    Setup /? for help on the setup command
    options.
    (0x13ab)

Any suggestions?
    Also if anyone knows where i can get a manual for this that would be very helpful, thx.

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

3. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

Su not Sv thx, that explains why I couldn't find info on it. :)

4. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

I went to site and tried to resolve, but I can not get the cd\windows command to do anything.
    How do I remove installation of win 98 so I can get a fresh start and replace ren setver.exe that may be corrupt?

Also is the corruption on the win 98 boot disk if so should I just make another one or use another 98se disk, any help would be great. :confused: thx

5. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

I have been reading allot about setver.exe, I understand it has to do with DOS version, but I do not undestand process for fixing it, I have tried the cd\windows command but it comes back with invalid dir. I assume it's operator error it always is. :)

6. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

When you do the cd\windows you are at the c:> prompt, right?? or are you at the a:> prompt...If the latter first just type c: <enter> then cd\windows.

What O.S does the laptop have on it now??
    Please don't say 95... ;)

7. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

C: prompt, it had win 95 on it I wanted to upgrade to 98se, I tried upgrade it would not accept so I tried to wipe it and start over, I fdisk, deleat part. and reformat, I am beginning to think I have not completly wiped out old OS.

8. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Well if you "wiped it out" (formatted) then there is no windows directory to change to, would explain the error....When at C:> prompt type 'dir /p' <enter>..does it list any files/directorys..probably not...The problem with change O.S on a laptop/notebook (especially the older ones) is that so many of them need/use propritory drives that many, many time it's just not possible to upgrade using a standard Win 98 install CD...The O.S almost has to be built for that laptop.....I'm NOT saing that is the case with you but it may turn out to be so..

9. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

Ahhh, well that is something I did not take into account, question is can I go around it or fix what I have done? By the way thx for all your help.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you able to have the floppy use and the cdrom use at the same time? Also, does the bios have the option to boot from cdrom?

11. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

Yes, but not sure how to get into bios on this laptop.

12. ~Candy~

13. ~Candy~

14. dark4une

dark4une Thread Starter

15. ~Candy~

What a fantastic price :eek: :eek:

If it only has 32megs of ram though, 98 is going to be a bear.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice