1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98SE "Programs" menu Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gary R, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

In the Start > programs drop down menu, there is no shortcut--or whatever Microsoft calls it :) --to the Messenger 5.? program. Either the last time Messenger updated, the shortcut wasn't put into the Programs list, or I accidentally deleted it.
    :
    How do I put a shortcut back the into Programs list?

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Gary
    If I understand you question/request; you just need to find the correct "programs" <b>folder</b> then put a short cut to Messenger or what ever in it.
    If you DON"T use a profile your "Programs" folder is under C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    OR if you do it's at
    C:\Windows\profiles\{profile name}\Start Menu\Programs

To get the Shortcut just Rt. Click on the appropriate exe file and either :
    1) Use "Send to" to put shortcut on desktop and cut/paste to Programs folder
    2) Select "Copy" then go to Programs folder and Rt. click blank area there

Confused yet?? Me too but it should work if you can decipher my ramblings :rolleyes:

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click Start, click Open, then double-click Programs to open its window. Leave the window open.

Click Start - Programs - Windows Explorer, then double-click MSN Messenger to open its window.

In the MSN Messenger window, click on the MSNMSGR.EXE file, then click Edit - Copy.

In the Programs window, click Edit - Paste. The file name will appear there.

Close all windows. The file name will now appear in the Start - Programs menu.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice