1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

98se to XP but won`t boot to cdrom ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chillr, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chillr

Chillr Thread Starter

Hi Folks ! Got new xp2 to install but can`t get 98se to boot to my cdrom? Changed order in bios to just CDROM + all others DISABLED to no avail ? Liked to format the C drive but not till i`m sure i can boot to cdrom which comes up showing there`s a "boot FAILURE" . Please help guys - been two weeks now. Thx Chillr :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What are you trying to do? Do you want to install Windows 98SE on a new computer? If so, is the CD-ROM to install Windows 98SE bootable? I've never encountered one that is. I've always had to use a floppy to install Windows 98SE.

Windows 98SE might not run properly on a new computer. The hardware manufacturers aren't likely to supply drivers for it.

3. Chillr

Chillr Thread Starter

Thx 4 your response ! DH ... So ur saying i cannot upgrade to XP cause my cdrom 98se is unable to boot to my xp2 cd ? Hints or help plz

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

I'm a bit confused. If you are trying to install WinXP then you should be booting with the WinXP CD not the Win98 CD.

5. northpo

northpo

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

not all 98 cd's were bootable. i had to use a bootdisk when i needed to install 98/98se.

7. ACA529

ACA529

Why are you trying to boot from the 98 CD if you're trying to install windows XP? are you trying to reformat your hard drive to do a clean install?

8. Chillr

Chillr Thread Starter

Hi guys ! Now let me clearly state cause there seems 2 be some confusion here . I have 98se already in puter been runnin for 5 YEARS ! Now im trying to INSTALL XP2 . I have new XP2 installation CD. Now i`d like to install or be able to boot up directly to this XP2 CD from my CDROM BUT CANNOT ! And yes i`d like to clean install, but problem still remains i cANNOT get BIOS to change order. To BOOT from my cdrom which CONTAINS my XP2 installation CD in mr CDROM. Sane reponses would be very much appreciated. Thank you aLL ! Chillr

9. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

In your original post, you said you disabled the other items from booting in BIOS. Just set the order as CD-ROM, Hard Drive, Floppy then whatevers left as last. Don't disable any of them.
    Windows 98 doesn't have anything to do with booting to CD-ROM, that happens before Windows loads.

Also make sure your old machine can handle XP; it's much more demanding than 98SE.
    The minimum requirements Microsoft lists are a joke, you want around 700MhZ CPU and 384 RAM to run half-decently.

Good luck.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this a legitimate Windows XP installation CD? If it's a copy, it probably won't boot.

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

For computers that do not have bootable CDROM drives but do have floppy drives, you can make a set of six XP boot floppies: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

After set your PC to boot from the floppy drive, insert the disks and follow the prompts until asked to insert the XP CD.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice