Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

98SE wierd things goin on

2K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  NiteHawk 
#1 ·
I am running 98se, office suite 2000 standard and works suite 2002, 25g master, 3.5g slave, iomega zipcd burner, I think I have 192meg of ram and I think IE 6.0

ok, I have considered doing a fresh reinstall of 98/98se (I havent done an fdisk by myself so am afraid to do it alone) but figured I would check with you all to see if you know what the problems I am having are about. I have all legal versions of everything, so there are no problems there.

My main most annoying problem is after I boot my computer I can not get online, IE says it is finding the site and then it comes up with the cannot find site, blah blah blah error page. I have to reboot the computer up to 9 times sometimes to be able to get online. I think I downloaded one of those fixes for a virus I didn't need and that messed things up, but I am really bad and don't back up (that I know of) and well......that is what I think may be wrong.

The second thing that is wrong (and it started happening about the same time) is that I get booted of ONE game site I use, every other site is fine I can go anywhere, but when I try using this one I get through 3-10 minutes and then it kicks me off asking to send an error message to Drwatson. I always send the message, but don't know what is causing it. I have other friends on this site and they are not having problems. One friend had the problem for about 2-3 weeks and then it cleared up for her (she runs xp home).

Lastly my MS Word is crashing whenever I try to use formating applications, have no clue what this is about.........

Thanks for listening, if you have an Idea I would be extremly grateful, If you think I should wipe everything and start fresh I will with a bit of coaching. If I have to I have pretty much already saved all my settings and favorites and stuff but can't figure out how to save the passwords that IE saves for me.........let me know what you suggest

Pamela:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets take a look at your Internet Explorer problem first.

Go into Start > Settings > Control Panel > add/remove programs
Scroll down and highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer then click on the add/remove button.

You will be given a screen with three choices. Select Repair Internet Explorer.

Reboot. Then test and let us know if you still have the problems.

#6 ·
ok, I did what you asked and it didn't change things, it took me 5 times of rebooting to get back online......sorry about the add/remove issue, I always forget too look for the word Microsoft first, duh, lol

#7 ·
Don't feel bad, most forget that it is listed under Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Let's take a look at what is running at start up.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
Download the and run MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

#8 ·
I had a feeling you would ask for this so I had the program ready to run, let me know what you find it is 10:15 pm my time and I should be up a few more hours yet (I think). Thanks so much for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.96.1
Scan saved at 10:13:22 PM, on 10/17/03
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATICWD32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\TYPE32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEB SECURITY\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MISC\CACHEMAN\CACHEMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ONTRACK\SYSTEMSUITE\MXTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
D:\MY DOCUMENTS\DOWNLOADS FROM THE NET\WEB SECURITY\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMMON\YCOMP5_1_3_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMMON\YCOMP5_1_3_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundFusion] RunDll32 cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] Lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Fix-It AV] C:\PROGRA~1\ONTRACK\SYSTEM~1\MEMCHECK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEB SECURITY\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Cacheman] C:\PROGRA~1\MISC\CACHEMAN\Cacheman.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - Startup: SystemSuite.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ontrack\SystemSuite\MXTask.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'wps.dll' missing
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37868.7656481481
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yse/ymmapi_416.dll
O16 - DPF: {597C45C2-2D39-11D5-8D53-0050048383FE} (OPUCatalog Class) - http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/76808a0e7ae82f/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Euchre - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/et0_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {E504EE6E-47C6-11D5-B8AB-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Viewer Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yvwrctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: WebMaster ChatNow Client - http://irc.axpi.net:8080/java/chatnow.cab
O16 - DPF: {1000026A-8230-4DD4-BE4F-6889D1E74166} - http://www.compete.com/panel/01/MSView.jsp?fid=UY7384
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab

#9 ·
Well, I couldn't find anything extremely serious, altho the O10 item and fix may clean some things up.

In Hijack This, check ALL of the following items. Double check so as to be sure not to miss a single one.
Next, close all browser Windows, and have HT fix all checked.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Cacheman] C:\PROGRA~1\MISC\CACHEMAN\Cacheman.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe

For this one:

Download LSPfix here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Launch the application, and click the "I know what I'm doing" checkbox.

Reboot into normal mode

Now download Spybot - Search & Destroy (if you haven't got the program installed already)

After installing, first press Online, and search for, put a check mark at, and install all updates.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, hit 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove/fix all it finds that are in RED

Reboot

Last, run HJT again and post your log again to see if anything was missed.

Thanks

#10 ·
hi, just wanted you to know that I didn't fall off the face of the earth, I started the fix I needed to do and removed the wps.dll and haven't been able to get back on line. I am at a friends now downloading the fix and will try it at home if that works then I will be back on line, if not, then I will have to reformat.

Thanks for the help, talk to you soon
Pamela

#12 ·
Well this has been a long and frustrating day................. I tried the download that I got on my friends computer for the lspfix and I couldn't get the zip to open....I think I had a bad disk, but it could have been something else.

I took this as a sign to mean that I needed to reformat. I did. I thought I had everything fixed (I had actuall got online and what not) I finished loading all my programs including my firewall and virus protection (system suite 4.0) and then couldn't get back on line, again it took me 4-5 times before it would work. I finally downloaded the lspfix and that totally stopped me from getting online, so I started removing programs, I eventually found out that it was the system suite causing the problem, why I am not sure but that was definately the issue.

I am using zonealarm free right now as a firewall, but I dont really have a virus protection, I did reinstall my old mcaffee 2000, but it won't let me update my dat files for new viruses, so it is pretty much useless.

I still have had some problems getting to some sites, but I just finished downloading all my updates for windows so hopefully that fixed it, I will let you know if there is still a problem. I think I will figure out what I am going to do for virus and firewall before I run HiJackThis again and submit it for a look over.

I am thinking of upgrading to ZoneAlarmpro and that should cover it, but I would like an idea from you if you don't mind if there is something better for the price (I am on a budget, I would prefer an all in one firewall/virus protection if possible, but am flexible).

I have to run cacheman or my computer crashes (this is because the cd burner I have has to run without my DMA off, which darned if I can remember how to turn that off again), so that will be installed again (as soon as I removed it I crashed within about 30-45 minutes).

Hmmmmmm........I think that is it, if you need to know anything else let me know....................

Just to wonder do you think it would be a good idea to fdisk, format again and reinstall my programs, I would really like to zero out to nothing and now would be the time to do it I guess. I don't know how to fdisk and would need some help doing that and then going into a format without my emachine restore cd (bootable).

Sorry this is a novel, thanks so much for your time and help.

Pamela

#13 ·
I have run both ZA and ZA Pro. For the last two + years I have been running the Pro version.

I'm not aware of any software that provides BOTH a firewall and antivirus protection....and does them both well.
I have always been of the mind that you find one program that does something well. Then for the next application, you find another program that does that well. Over the years there have been many programs that did one thing very well. Then some one in marketing said, "we want to be your do all, end all program". For many smaller companies it proved to be their undoing.

AVG is a free antivirus program and has had some great reviews. Many here use it.
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_index.php

You have already formatted and re-installed everything. The only advantage that Fdisk will give you over formatting is that it will allow you to set up partitions on your HD. At 25gig I would suggest two to three partitions IF that's the way you want to go.

#14 ·
Logfile of HijackThis v1.96.1
Scan saved at 9:33:27 PM, on 10/27/03
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\PTSNOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATICWD32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATITASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\TYPE32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKUFIND.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CACHEMAN\CACHEMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZONEALARM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\URLMAP.EXE
D:\MY DOCUMENTS\DOWNLOADS FROM THE NET\WEB SECURITY\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

F1 - win.ini: load=ptsnoop.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_2_3_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_2_3_0.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiKey] Atitask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundFusion] RunDll32 cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] Lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp10.0] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Activation.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Cacheman] C:\PROGRA~1\CACHEMAN\Cacheman.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37921.3578125
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinstc.cab

Hi ya, Here is the latest HiJack-This log. Things are running well, not sure how burner works so I may still need help with that.

I defragged after each program was installed and it really made a difference, took for ever but things seem to be running smoother.

I still need a clean up and fix it utility if you know of any. I was using fix it utilities and internet cleanup from ontrack off the system suites set I have, since I had other problems I don't even want to push it by loading in those.

I really appreciate all of your help, you have had some great program referrels

#15 ·
I would have HJT fix these two

F1 - win.ini: load=ptsnoop.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Cacheman] C:\PROGRA~1\CACHEMAN\Cacheman.exe

Nothing wrong with Casheman, it just doesn't need to be running all the time.

You can look into JV16 Power Tools. There were once freeware, but I have now idea what they are charging now.

JV16 Power Tools
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jv16/jv16pt.zip

#16 ·
Ptsnoop is at best a bad choice of names for a file/program. It most likely relates to your modem, but you should be aware of the other posibilities also.

From Pac-portal:
These descriptions I've come across - all valid as far as I can see :-
(1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not required from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it

(2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here for more info

(3) Apparently the people who put it out claim it's a driver for a Voice modems (don't know who they are though - Ed)Note: If using AOL and you disable this you may lose your connection or lock up

(4) Can also be an older Logitech scanner program. Remove from the Win.ini tab under Load='path'\PTSNOOP and the System.ini tab under drivers='path'\ptrtkr.drb. Can cause parallel port conflicts big time dragging system resources way down when a conflict exists

(5) Allows audio monitoring of modem phone dialling tones and can be useful if you have connection problems

(6) Karen Kenworthy's Snooper - "logs the start and stop time of all programs run under Windows"

I would suggest finding the file, then right clicking on it, then open Properties and the Version tab and look at the description and the company info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.