1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

99 problems and 2 broken laptops!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saj1011, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have two broken laptops, resulting in 14 gb mixed (8,4,2 different speeds/makes) ram of which may be faulty, an i7 processor which may be faulty, a duo core 2*2.4 ghz which may be faulty, an nvidia gtx 460m which may be faulty, a dodgy screen and laptop case and potentially broken motherboard from an asus g53jw. As well as spare power supplies, hard drives and all the other usual laptop spares. I was told by asus rep to get my laptop fixed would cost around 500++eur as it is out of warranty and if the processor or ram or gfx card is shot then it will be expensive. So fxxk that! Although odds are it is only one of these components that needs replacing.

So, with all these pricey components, of which some may be faulty, (although I reckon I can eliminate faulty component via trial and error), I have concluded it is best to try and build my own laptop if worthwhile. I have built PCs over the years although this is quite easy and mostly been successful projects.

What is best approach? As in the best folding hard exterior housing case/shell, screen and motherboard for a budget of about 150-300 eur? I think I need a custom case ideally with a screen and a motherboard that fits my other bits and bobs.

Thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The only parts available are OEM parts from existing models. I guess you could ebay a bunch of broken "parts only" hardware from eBay and try to piece something together. But you won't be buying new replacement parts with that budget and it wouldn't be cost effective even if your budget was higher.

Also, whatever case you select, you will need a matching motherboard from that manufacturer (for that model). Unlike desktop PC's, laptop parts are not standard or interchangeable. The cpu selection is then dictated by the few models supported by the motherboard.

Pay to get it fixed, find a decent used model, or find a new model. The budget you noted above should be enough for a new laptop. More depending on speed and options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice