1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

9c Machine Check Exception-Regular time intervals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Hound, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hound

The Hound Thread Starter

HP Pavilion 513c, Celeron 1.8, 256 RAM.

This thing was riddled with spyware (still not 100% clean, but that's another thread....).
    The machine would reboot every so often when idle--the owner called it random, so I ran a windebug on the minidump files--there were about 70 a day!
    All returned a 9c machine check exception pointing to hardware. I've attached 2 debuglogs-they're all quite similar.

I then arranged the minidumps in detail view, sorted by Date Modified-lo and behold, every 15 minutes, then every 16 minutes, then 15, then 16, and so on.
    The errors stopped when I was running anti-malware scans and removal tools, then started again when I left the machine for an hour.

I would expect more random timing from RAM or processor...and more errors when the hardware was under load-

Any clues? I'm howling at the moon with frustration....

Attached Files:

2. The Hound

The Hound Thread Starter

Woof...I mean bump-any guesses what electrical device in the house might cause such a regular error??? AC current is the only thing I can think of that's that consistent.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice