1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

__Error - "cannot be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BigHaus, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

When downloading files, I currently get this error message.

"cannot be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder"

How to fix?

2. AlecStaar

AlecStaar Banned

Is the folder (or file in question) write protected (i.e.-> Does it have the +R attribute set on its contents_?

(Right click on the folder &/or file in question to see, near the bottom of the PROPERTIES tab when it pops up by using the PROPERTIES rightclick popup menu item).

Do you, as the currently logged on user, have administrative capabilities?? If so, you can check the ACL rights on the folder & files as well (via right click on folder/file, & check the SECURITY tab's PERMISSIONS set, to which users can access the folder & to what levels (this varies, widely)).

APK

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where are you downloading files to?

4. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

downloading to C drive, my music folder

5. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

Thanks for this. Yep, I'm the admin. The "read only" area was shaded green but not checked. I selected the box to unshade from being green. Me thinks that was the problem, tho not sure how that happened.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Shaded means that there are some with and some without inside the folder.

7. AlecStaar

AlecStaar Banned

Oh, you're welcome man... &, I suppose it doesn't matter HOW this happened, but what matters is, you were able to FIX it... right?

Enjoy!

APK

8. AlecStaar

AlecStaar Banned

Mark as solved?

APK

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The OP's mark the threads under normal circumstances. That way there are fewer misunderstandings about whether the problem has been solved to the satisfaction of the poster.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

10. AlecStaar

AlecStaar Banned

Naw... I don't feel it's my place, as I am relatively "new" here & all that stuff. Plus, imo @ least?? The ONLY GUY who can mark this solved???

Is BigHaus... not I.

APK

P.S.=> Thanks for noting policy on that here... every mod & every forums are way, Way, WAY diff. in their culture & mores (as well as faux pas' too)... so, I watch it for a bit, & "get the GOOD WORD" & on that/this type of issue/stuff... thanks for that much! apk

11. zabusant

zabusant

Yup, that's what Elvandil said - you can mark your own threads as solved (the person who starts the thread, not you in this case).

Have a nice one!:)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

(y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice