1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A 3rd DVD drive just showed up in My Computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rikku, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Recently I noticed a 3rd optical drive (Drive G:) in My Computer and I only have two drives installed in my system.

I have only on and off put a 40GB Western Digital in my system to transfer files from home to work.

There has never been any other DVD or CDRW drives attached to my system...only the two I have now which are:

E: -- Sony 48x CDRW (CRX210E1)
    F: -- Aopen 16x DVD (1640 pro)

The third mystery drive is listed as:

G: -- AVX CD/DVD-ROM (appears as 'device is functioning normally' in Device Manager)

My other drives (fixed) are:

C: -- Western Digital 120GB Special Ed.
    D: -- Western Digital 180GB Special Ed.

The only catch, and perhaps the problem, is that both hard drives are setup as Master on their respective channel. There are no slaves. Both CD drives are setup as master on a Promise 2-channel Ultra-66 PCI Controller Card. I've never had any problem with this setup and I've used it for at least 12-18 months.

I can't get rid of the third drive. I delete it from Device Manager and it comes back. I don't know where it came from or how to get rid of it!!!

FWIW, the rest of my system is:

Windows XP Pro
    MB: Epox 8RDA+
    CPU: AMD 2500+ (Barton)
    RAM: 2 sticks of GEIL 256MB DDR3200
    Video: Radeon 9500pro
    Sound: SB Live

Any ideas!? THANKS!!!!!

2. zeddy

zeddy

Dont know that I can answer the specific query.........but two hard drives of that size - both as single partitions, defragging must take forever.

3. twotugs

twotugs

Perhaps it's a virtual drive. What burning software do you have?

4. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Zeddy, I use Norton Speed Disk which usually does a pretty good job :)

twotugs, I just use Nero and I have never created a virtual drive before with it. I also use Alcohol 120% and CloneCd but I don't think they have that capability.

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Interesting...,second Promise Controller issue I have seen today.

I'd reconfigure the board's IDE and pull the Promise card.
    Primary IDE: DVD master
    C: slave
    Secondary IDE: CDRW master
    D: slave

Then do a check of the BIOS and an "Auto search" for the drives to see what it reports.
    I would be willing to bet that the "G: CD/DVD ROM" disappears after that reboot.If not,delete it from the manager,and reboot.
    Next,I would consider buying a nice USB-IDE portable box for your 40gig,and leave the Promise card in a anti-static bag until you decide to actually add more Hard-Drive (permanently) to the system.But with 300 gigs of space on it already,and a burner for archiving,I can't imagine why you would ever need to add more Hard-drive.
    Oh...,and WOW! What the ____! kind of files require a 40gig device for portable transfer? Your workplace's back-up must require a server system all of it's own!

Zeddy...,A 200gig HDD will defrag before you can smoke a cigarette...,if it's empty. ;)

6. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Thanks Joe,

I will definitely try ditching the Promise controller as a test. I have my case on top of the shelving unit on my desk and the CD drives are mounted in the shelving unit outside the case... the promise card lets me just reach the drives with normal IDE cables. I don't think it would reach to the IDE connectors on my motherboard. But I think I can rig something up temporarily :)

Well.... with the T1 I have a work, I often use BitTorrent to download the latest Japanese Anime television shows that have been recently fansubbed. They fill up my hard drive pretty quickly!! I think I need to invest in a DVD burner :p

I'll let you know how it goes.

7. zeddy

zeddy

Before you go and change your hardware settings:-

alcohol 120%

I thought one of the main uses for alcohol 120% was its ability to create virtual drives DVD or CD? Are you sure it has not set up the third drive.

That A (alcohol) V (virtual) X (drive) sounds like it belongs to the alcohol program.

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

YEP!!! Zeddy's right! Good Clue out to TwoTugs!
    Just read over the manual for Alcohol 120% and that is their designation for their virtual drives(actually it's AXV,"Alcohol Drive Virtual").It must have established one for your last use and you are just now noticing it.According to the manual,you can make changes to that Virtual Drive in the program options,or create up to 31 of them.
    I guess if you need your hardware set up in that manner,it can stay just like it is.

(what would we do without him?) Good job man!

(but I still think she has a bit of overkill on that rig...,someone ought to pinch her to get her to burn disks instead of waiting on a drive failure and losing all those movies)

9. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Wow. That was it!! I've never used Alcohol for that purpose, only for burning/copying CDs. But when I ran it, there it was! Thanks zeddy. :D I was really wondering HOW i was going to get rid of that.

Hmm, maybe I'll just leave it there, could be useful :)

Is there such a thing as overkill ;) -- I was just looking over the benchmarks for Doom3 and was thinking I need an Nvidia 5900 Ultra.... :D

10. zeddy

zeddy

Well if NVidia starts "optimising" drivers as it currently stands accused of doing with HalfLife2 I would not be jumping for a GFX5900. I would spend my dosh on a Radeon 9800 (cheaper and benchamarking well against the 5900 (and wiping the floor with it in HL2).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice