A Bad Day at TSG is Better Than a Good Day Being Phished!

Doc Holliday

I swear! I know I'm not suppose to....But, I swear!

Now keep in mind the elderly, the young and the un-informed in between.

These little scammers are getting "creative". I received the following in my e-mail titled FRAUD COMPLAINT CASE with some number from our all time favorite on-line auction site:::

Dear ******@****.***

FRAUD COMPLAINT
Complaint Tracking Number: *************
By: x [email protected]
Item #: ***********0
Winning Bid: $139.95
Payment Method: *******L
Date Complaint Filed: Wednesday-12 03:17 AM
Nature of Complaint:
I sent a payment but never received any merchandise.
Text of Complaint: I won an auction for a $500 **p **ys Gift Certificate.
It was a certificate number which you entered after ordering online. We
were told by **p **ys, that the certificate number was stolen and not
valid.

Then it goes on yibbling about not being aware about the item and the (un) official stamp of the site with the attorney's lingo at the end............

I may get phished once a month. Usually about problems with my account. But for starters I never sold anything through "that site". I made some bids and bought a few things. But, this takes the proverbial cake! Most the times I can never tell if it's real or memorex? Thank goodness for the "spoof stick" this time!

Gabriel

Account Closed
I got one of the fraud ones too. It came with a cluster of others , and I knew it was bogus. I wish they'd just lose my email address.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
And it's unfortunate that there are gullible people out there who fall for these scams! :(

angelize56 said:
And it's unfortunate that there are gullible people out there who fall for these scams! :(
You don't need to be gullible. My wife is not gullible and she replied to an e-mail allegedly from E-Bay requesting she update our information. Fortunately, she asked me a question about it and I asked her why and she told me--I know it was a scam from having much more experience on line than her. But you have some really intelligent people that are not suckers that are hooked into these "please update your records" e-mails.

As an aside--Ebay/Paypal NEVER requests information by e-mail. NEVER reply to an e-mail request because the links fool you as well--its looks like you're going to the E-bay or Paypal sites but you're not. They scammed thousands that way.

angelize56

Mulder said:
But you have some really intelligent people that are not suckers that are hooked into these "please update your records" e-mails.
True...but I'd bet there are more gullible than smart like your wife! ;)

angelize56

And I agree...more online experience is an asset...when I first got online I downloaded Gator...WeatherBug...the works...until I learned about spyware here at TSG! :eek: :D

ekim68

Mike
Yep, that's right. Ebay/Paypal do not request info by email.
I had a friend who got duped and kept trying to change his
password via the phish site.
Didn't work, they had him.
Had to log into ebay on the address bar rather than responding
to the email to fix it...

angelize56 said:
And I agree...more online experience is an asset...when I first got online I downloaded Gator...WeatherBug...the works...until I learned about spyware here at TSG! :eek: :D
*groan* me too, lol! Remember the Hotbar? :D

My sis-in-law keeps downloading useless stuff and cant figure out why her computer is running so slowly. And she gets about 200 emails a day from spammers...all because she keeps accepting "free stuff" from popups and gives out her email addy to every tom dick and harry who asks for it! And then she calls me to come and try to clean it all out. it can be frustrating!

angelize56

I remember Hotbar too Val! :D But Bonzai Buddy is so cute....at first....then he really gets on your nerves! ;) :D My pc was chock full of spyware until TSG led me down the right path! (y) :)

angelize56

By the way Val...how much of the free stuff has your sis-in-law actually gotten?? :D She get her free IPod yet??? :p :D

My kids were forever downloading that stupid thing that kept your time and gave you the weather--forget what it was called but it was a pain in the arse to get rid of. You would uninstall it and it would have you go through a thousand popup screens to get rid of--and you have to make the right choices or it didn't uninstall!

angelize56

Mulder: It was probably the WeatherBug I mentioned earlier! ;)

Some like it hot! :D

I think my mom had BonziBuddy... :eek: I only remember seeing it on her desktop. I never downloaded it for myself.

Anyone remember iwon.com?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online