1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Basic Network - help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Networking' started by philofleeds, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philofleeds

philofleeds Thread Starter

Hi

I'd like to ask for some help on what I suspect is a very simple thing.

I have three PCs all running through one hub. I'd like to be able to drag and drop stuff from each PC to the others. Probably just to each PC's desktop.

At present PC1 can drag and drop to the desktop of PC2. That's all I have - it was set up by a techy friend who is no longer available - and it's through the 'My network places'.

PC1 and PC2 run ME. PC3 runs XP.

Any help seting this up would be appreciated.

Phil

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

You will need for each PC to have file/print sharing enabled. Right click on a folder on each, and enable sharing from the menu.

Also, which XP? home or pro? Pro is better about filesharing.

You may need to disable the firewall on the XP machine. This sometimes interferes with fileshareing.

3. philofleeds

Which folder?

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Any folder... whichever you would like to share. For what you seem to be trying to do, creating a folder named "shares" (or whatever you like) on your desktop. Right click on the folder you may have an option for sharing, go there and enable sharing for that folder... If no, you should have a sharing tab under properties....

Although... I've had trouble several times trying to make XPhome make sharing work correctly... *grumble*

5. philofleeds

OK, that makes sense.

However, how do I create it so that I can access any desktop of any of the 3 PCs from any of the 3 PCs?

(BTW, I have managed to organise printer sharing through the 'Network wizard). :cool:

6. philofleeds

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice