1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A big thankyou.

Discussion in 'Personal News & Announcements' started by lighthouse, Jan 30, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. lighthouse

lighthouse Thread Starter

Just a quick note to say a big thanks to anyone out there who helped and supported me in my campaign for human rights :) (y) . Not forgetting those who didn't, (and - oh I do remember you):( and those who pretended to (you too) :mad: . Out of the two latter ones I'm not sure whether being greeted with indifference or simply patronised is worse than each other but you know who you are.................... :rolleyes: (n)

2. lighthouse

Apart from getting to know some really cool people (hopefully you'll know who you are as well (y) :) ), one of the more enduring memories I'll have of getting people to subscribe to a famous human rights organisation was working on the 27th of January. A blow was struck for humanity 60 years ago that day, and to be representing that organisation at that time was very poignant on the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. Hopefully the significance of it won't be lost on some of the people who signed up then either!!!

3. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I must have totally missed this! :eek: Sorry lighthouse! :(

4. lighthouse

That's OK angel. It's just an announcement to the world in general and an observation gleaned during my time as a street fundraiser for a human rights organisation.........a time when you really do encounter the genuinely decent people of the world (y) and those who - erm - aren't (n) It isn't a comment on any of the good people at TSG :)

5. lighthouse

...............And on the subject of human rights. You'd have had to have been on the planet Zog for the last 6 weeks not to be aware of the Tsunami disaster that engulfed a large part of ther Indian Ocean coastline just after christmas. You'd have had to have been vacationing somewhere around Alpha Centuri if you'd have missed the subsequent outpouring of generosity by much of the Northern hemisphere during the last few weeks.

This is a natural disaster, but even horrors brought on by mother nature can have a human rights dimension. As millions of people give to the relevant appeals in the trust that the aid reaches those who need it most, unfortunately not all is as it seems in the distribution process at the other end. Sri Lanka was one of the most badly affected places in the tidal storm and many will be aware that, until recently, a bloody civil war raged there for years between the Singhalese and Tamil peoples. Thankfully this was brought to a peaceful conclusion by a cease fire a few years ago, but as the area struggles to put itself back together again there is a problem. The Singhalese government are being less than assistive in ensuring that aid reaches the Tamils who were hit harder than most by the devastation. This is being monitored by human rights organisation because it's a denial of rights by a government basing their decisions on descrimination. It's also a betrayal of trust bestowed by the millions in the world who donated money because they believe it's going where it should do - to those who need it most - and could result in a culture of cynicicsm in the future as the same people ask whether their help makes that much of a difference where it should do. There is also a danger that the civil war could recommence as a result which - concidering the scale of the devastation - would be disasterous for the country economically and socially. This is where human rights organisations really do prove their worth by not just ensuring short term justice for those who need it but also doing much to preserve a meaningful peace in the long run.

No apologies for saying this I'm afraid..................none at all!!! Call it an anti-dote to spinitis :(

There's also another human rights angle here too and that is how military/paramilitary types are scouring the area for male orphans to conscript into their ranks, and the worst of all is how others are searching Thailand for female orphans to be shanghiad into something else (n) :( . It beggers belief really :mad:

6. lighthouse

Yeah - there's a bit more to human rights work than political prisoners and jailed civil rights activists - much more. Just try getting some people to step out of their consumerist bubble long enough to tell them. Can be really difficult, if you can get them to stop in the street in the first place! There are some brilliant things being done out there to help protect people from suffering, death, hideous forms of exploitation, and dehumanising brutality. It's not just about helping others in far away parts of the world either - it's an investment in your own and your families futures. With the added claustrophobia, resultant paranoia, and fear Politics generated in the 'war on terrorism', the human rights framework established by the UN as a direct response to the holocaust phenomenon has never been more under threat than now. When you're out shopping, visiting the town etc, and you see someone in a bright yellow jacket with the famous candle logo on it please at least hear them out. They're one manifestation of humanity at a time when the world seems to get harder and more mechanical. A short conversation with these people might expand your horizons a bit and give you a chance to make a difference........and allied with the other signatories of human rights work - a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE :)

Remember, that a principal cause of violence is a lack of peaceful justice and there are people working hard to enshrine a notion of that justice in all parts of the world and with ALL humans in it - from the President of the USA to the person selling the Big Issue, to the woman on the streets of Kabul, and the people born into the refugee camp. Allowing and assisting these people to succeed in that work could bring a peaceful future in the world where the lexicography of terror used by all sides can be consigned to history.

Zalman Gradowski was killed in a Concentration camp riot in 1944. Upon liberation his writings were discovered which included the immortal line "You must give meaning to my condemned existence". He was right, and human rights organisations strive to ensure that the horrors of Auschwitz, Birkenau and Sobibor never happen again. The inhuman killing machine didn't stop after WW2 - many people have died in violation of their basic rights since - but the strident murder of the final solution has been made more difficult by workers tirelessly keeping the violators at bay. This can only happen if people support and maintain the campaign, because without the human rights activists there might not be anyone to speak out should they ever come for you!!!

7. lighthouse

While working, one person said to me - in all seriousness - that they thought there were 'too many people in the world as it is'.........stated with no sense of irony at all. My response was that if there are countries in the world whose societal value system is so degraded that they send 8 year old boys to fight a frontline war, how much chance does educating people in the disputed regions about things like birth control have? It's not until you have a solid human rights framework established in these areas that the stabilty exists to be able to engender anything conducive to forward movement in social thinking.

8. lighthouse

While working, one person said to me - in all seriousness - that they thought there were 'too many people in the world as it is'.........stated with no sense of irony at all. My response was that if there are countries in the world whose societal value system is so degraded that they send 8 year old boys to fight a frontline war, how much chance does educating people in the disputed regions about things like birth control have? It's not until you have a solid human rights framework established in these areas that the stabilty exists to be able to engender anything conducive to forward movement in social thinking.

Also, the most populated country in the world - China - has no real experience of NGOs - and human rights organisations are working with former Tiannemen Square pro-democracy demonstrators in a consultancy capacity to help them establish environmental, human rights, and other campaign groupings in the same way as we have here. This is one vastly invaluable part of HR work in that it can engender an awareness of a multitude of different issues, and help establish campaigning manifestations of that awareness amongst the largest population on the planet. One guy I spoke to - upon inviting him to sign up for human rights - said that he was already a donor to an environmental group. I said to him that there are 1000s of people out there who'd love to be able to do the same thing but can't because of state repression. If he subscribed to human rights he's not only helping the HR issue, but he's also assisting the environmental one because the premise of HR is to ensure that everyone around the world can be an environmental campaigner if they want to. This helps increase the support base for environmentalism and, thus, makes his green contribution all the more effective.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice