A Bit Complicated

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

astrodaddy

Hello,

I am in need of re-formatting my hard drive, but I have a problem.

When I received my com, it had Windows 98 on it. I then borrowed my step-sons ME upgrade cd and upgraded the 98 to ME.

My question is, if I re-format my com, can I use the ME upgrade cd to re-install ME on my com with it?

Or will I have to buy XP? (since previous Windows OS's are hard to find)

My com is a Pentium 2 with a processor speed of 350Mhz with a 10 GIG hard drive and 196 Mb RAM.
(sad, I know, but im saving up for a new com right now, plz dont make fun :))

Fairly certain that if you only have a ME upgrade disk, early on during the process, you will be prompted for a previous version to put in the CD ROM drive. You would need something like a full Win98 CD. Others may have a legal concern but I just wanted to point out the technical aspects

Do you still have your win98 cd? Upgrading with another persons cd is not legal. I would suggest reinstalling your original 98. If you do not have it, I would search EBay for a full version of 98se which is better than ME. WinXP may be slow on your machine.

astrodaddy

Thanks all, I actually bought it from my stepson, his com wouldnt run ME for some reason. He never registered it or anything so I didnt think it would be illegal, since im the only one who registered it.

Im going to go check out Ebay right now.

Thanks again!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the Windows ME CD is an upgrade version, you'll also need a Windows 98 or Windows 98SE CD for the reason that Bob advised you. You'll also need the 25-digit product code for the Windows ME CD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note that Windows XP may not run on a PC built for Windows 98 - I called Dell when reformatting to ask them if installing XP on my ME computer would work - they said no. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Do NOT even consider installing Windows XP SP2 in a computer with a 350 MHz processor and 192 MB of RAM because it WILL run like a turtle, no matter how much tweaking you do to improve its performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online