1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A broken memory stick slot on the HP Pavilion 753n

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HR10067, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HR10067

HR10067 Thread Starter

08/02/12

THE ISSUE:
    Hardware issue: A broken memory stick slot on the HP Pavilion 753n

DETAILED EXPLANATION:

(I don't know how this happened anyway), but the catch on the second slot tray is

broken, causing one side of the installed memory stick to hang loose, and not snap in, or fit securely,

resulting in Windows not registering or recognizing that there is, in fact, a 512 RAM memory stick actually in

the second slot.

CONSEQUENCE:
    I now have only one good 512 RAM memory slot.

ACTIONS TAKEN SO FAR:
    Purchased and installed 2nd 512 RAM memory stick in the problem slot.

PRODUCT SPECS:
    Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)

RESULTS:
    Problem still exists.

Crucial's online scanner, and the System Specs under My Computer still reads like below:

Memory: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200
    Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 1GB
    Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
    Total Memory Slots: 2
    Available Memory Slots: 1 512MB EMPTY

SUGGESTED ACIONS FROM TECH SITES:
    A: Replace the mother board.

OR:

B. Replace the 512MB stick that's in the good slot with a 1GB stick.

THE PROBLEM WITH B:
    According to Crucial's.com's Expert Online Tech (where I bought the 512 extra RAM) this pc (HP Pavilion 753n) is too old, and cannot handle a 1GB stick because it's basically an obsolete pc...the OS (operating system) will be severely affected, causing crashes and other instabiity if you put a 1GB stick of RAM in a 512 slot: therefore it is not recommended to put a 1GB stick in a 512 slot.

MY QUESTIONS:
    1. Is he right? (I've received both yes and no responses so far, but no definitive answer).

2. What other solutions are there?

3. What's involved in remanufacturing, or replacing, the board?

4. Should I contact HP to get a price quote to fix the issue?

THANK YOU!!
    (All suggestions reviewed.)

2. Sponsor

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

1. The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself. I tend to trust the judgement of Crucial as they stand behind their products and recommendations. But they also err on the side of caution.

2. You already know the only two options

3. Buy the replacement board (if you can find an exact replacement), disassemble the entire PC, remove the old board, install the new board, reassemble the entire system

4. No

Even if you do the work yourself, your money is better spent on a new PC.

4. 2twenty2

2twenty2

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion 753n desktop.

It has an Intel Pentium IV 2.53 GHz processor and an Intel 845G chipset.

Based on my personal experience with the Pentium IV processor and 845G chipset in older desktops, it MAY support a 1 GB module in each slot.

If you have a choice between DDR PC2700 and DDR PC3200 modules, install the DDR PC2700.

Even if one of the white locking levers is broken or missing, you still should be able to fully seat the module in the slot.

Make sure to orientate the module correctly in the slot so the notch matches the raised area in the slot.

Push down firmly on both sides of the module at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------

6. HR10067

HR10067 Thread Starter

Thanks to all contributors for your supportive responses.

To Flavallee: (3 items. 2 comments- one more question:)

1. You say "make sure the notches match the raised area, and push down firmly on both sides": I've tried this, and you can't clamp it in tightly, (that's the original problem) so it hangs loose regardless, and Windows does not register the slot as having a memory stick installed. (I spent 45 minutes trying to get the stick to stay in place... just won't do it.)

2. You say, based on your experience, it might support a 1gb stick in each 512 slot.

My question is this: Will the 1gb stick (by itself) work in this PC if I simply put it in the ONE GOOD SLOT?
    (or is that still too much memory for this processor, since each slot was designed for 512MB?)

(The support site clearly says this pc has a 1 gb max memory, which is virtually identical to the Crucial tech' s words.
    I'm not doubting you, because i did ask for help, I'm just asking whether a single ONE 1gb stick will allow this pc to function, either normally, or faster, (which was the original goal here) while leaving the other (broken) slot empty.)?

3. What is the main difference between DDR PC2700 and DDR PC3200, and why should I choose to install the DDR PC2700module?, (it's always good to know why you're doing one thing rather than the other:)

Thanks

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

As old as that desktop is, it used to support DDR PC1600 or DDR PC2100 modules.

These modules no longer exist, so the DDR PC2700 module is the next best choice.

The DDR PC3200 module will probably work, but it will still run at the slower speed that the desktop's motherboard is designed for.

--------------------------------------------------------

If you have a 1 GB DDR PC2700 or DDR PC3200 module available, it won't hurt anything to insert it in the one good slot.

If the desktop doesn't support it, it won't start and load Windows.

You can then replace the 512 MB module.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063600