A Bunch of Issues with my HP Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gigem20

Good morning,

I recently "inherited" a used HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx and I've run into several issues with Windows 7 (64-bit) so far.

The first issue I noticed is that several programs won't install. For example, I tried to install iTunes and the status bar just stops at a certain point. I also tried to install an Adobe Flash update and received a message saying the installation failed. I was able to install VLC player successfully.

Second, whether the computer will recognize and install device drivers for my USB drives is hit or miss at items. For example, I've plugged in my western digital usb hard drives and connected them successfully but on subsequent uses Windows says it's trying to install device drivers but the installation fails.

Another big issue is that after a shutdown the "Starting Windows" graphic appears but the screen goes black and has just the mouse cursor but you cannot click on the buttons for the computer user logon (Owner, Guest, etc.). The only way I can access the computer user logon screen is shutting down the computer by pressing the power button and hitting F8 a few times after pressing the power back on and then selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" (the computer will not boot any of the Safe Mode options, just with Last Known Good Configuration).

Lastly another concern is that Windows Update will not complete the download and/or if I shut down and install updates before the "Installing Update 1 of 1, don't unplug the computer" screen never goes away after several hours. Not sure if this is related but I get some update.dll extension related error messages upon rebooting.

Since I received this laptop secondhand, I don't have any of the original windows discs (recovery or otherwise) that my have come with the computer in the box. Note that I tried to use the "Create a system repair disc" but the creation process also failed.

I was just checking to see if any of you all had faced and ultimately solved these issues. Thanks

TerryNet

Terry
I assume that you are not dealing with a fresh install of Windows. Am I correct?

Can you still read the Product Key on the COA sticker? If so, what Windows is it for (e.g., Windows 7 Home 64-bit)?

Have you checked to see if HP still sells Recovery disks?

gigem20

I assume that you are not dealing with a fresh install of Windows. Am I correct?

Can you still read the Product Key on the COA sticker? If so, what Windows is it for (e.g., Windows 7 Home 64-bit)?

Have you checked to see if HP still sells Recovery disks?
Correct, I am not dealing with a fresh install. I can still read the product key, it's for Windows 7 Home 64-bit

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I recently "inherited" a used HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx and I've run into several issues with Windows 7 (64-bit) so far.
HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx Entertainment Notebook PC (support site and driver downloads site)
It originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (recovery media purchase site)

When you "inherit" a computer which still contains all the debris and issues from its previous owner, the best thing to do is a factory reset or a clean reinstall so you can get a fresh start with it.
If the built-in factory reset partition in that laptop no longer exists or is damaged, you'll need the recovery media disc kit to get it going again.
If the HP recovery media site that I linked you to no longer has it available, you should be able to purchase it HERE.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online