1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A bunch of problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abrown0718, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abrown0718

abrown0718 Thread Starter

Ok, I had to restart my computer after it finished a spyware scan. It restarted just fine, but I noticed a lot of things wrong once I logged on.

1)can't minimize programs to the taskbar. They won't show up if I try to minimize them, but I can access them by using alt+tab.

2)can't hide inactive windows, no circle with the arrows to click to minimize. I've tried right clicking on the taskbar and going to properties, but when i click hide inactive icons, and click apply nothing happens. Also when I click the customize button, the customize notification menu is empty.

3)I have no sound. I went to the control panel and checked on the sound and audio devices. I went through all of the tabs and they all said there was no device, but when i checked the hardware properties it said everything was working properly.

4)when I access the task manager and click on the processes tab, the user name column is empty. Usually there is either administrator or system

Other than these problems, everything else works fine. I recently installed something before my computer restarted and I uninstalled it and restarted it again and the same problem was there. if anybody knows what to do I would be extremely greatful.

2. vicks

vicks

IF you are running XP you could do a system restore to a date before this problem started.
    vicks

3. abrown0718

Can't do that because I had a virus about two weeks ago and I turned system restore off so there would be no virus backup and i forgot to turn system restore back on. I tried that and yesterday and that's when I found out I forgot to turn it back on. Also, I found more problems.

1) cant drag items to the recycling bin

2) can't copy and paste

I don't think its a virus because once I got rid of the virus my computer ran like normal up until yesterday when I restarted.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. abrown0718

Is it possible that it could be something I've installed. After I got rid of the virus I installed the newest version of firefox (I heard it is less susceptible to spyware and such) and updated some of my other programs (acrobat reader, flash, java, quicktime, shockwave, and real player). I uninstalled real player but I guess it also installed rhapsody player engine. I tried to unistall that and it couldn't. hopefully this gives some more insight and possibly a solution.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most of the free antivirus and spyware programs, can easily rip gaping holes in the registry, which is one of the reasons I suggested XP Repair as it can fix a lot of that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice