1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"A Career in Computers"

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by licknance, Apr 20, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. licknance

licknance nicholas Thread Starter

Hello everyone!
    I've grown up with computers and use to know a lot about them. I still do in someway, but barley to the effect I use too. Recently i've been thinking about going to school, taking some online courses, doing my own studies and researching computers. The thing is, there are so many areas and aspects one could learn and end up making a career out of. I have some questions for people who are experts or somewhat well versed in the occupation of this field. First I think a little background would help someone narrow down an explanation.

Background
    (area's I would want to learn/work):
    • Building PC's
    • Coding
    • Security
    • Networking
    • Technician/Support
    My questions:
    First of all given this information where would one suggest I start at? I'm a beginner with little experience in most of those areas. I'm definitely going to look into schools and courses, but in the mean time, does anyone know of some free sites or really resourceful courses and material for one that would want to learn as much as they could on there own? If so that would be greatly appreciated. I'm highly interested in computers and everything about them. I'm 27 now and still not clear on where my life is headed. I do know that this is something that would make me happy. So any help at all, future thanks and I hope to hear back. Thanks Community!!!

2. Xsage

Xsage Dave

A lot of this stuff comes with experience, if you can land a job in a helpdesk role - you will get to experience a lot and build up a really broad knowledge on most of these topics. Especially if you can get one working in a well funded school, they never stop upgrading their kit and there are always new challenges everyday.

For networking, check out this YouTube playlist. It is by far one of the best and most informative out there.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF360ED1082F6F2A5

Coding. It really depends what sort of coding you mean. Coding can be anything from creating powershell and batch scripts, to making games in java, to full blown .net development.
    You will need to identify where you would like to end up in the long term before anyone can advise you on where to start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188760