A+ Certification--some personal questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

InterKnight

Hello, everyone.

This topic (I am very sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, but I'm just not exactly sure which forum it would be best posted in) is one which I have been nervous about for awhile, and I wanted to get some personal opinions about this from others in the IT field.

I am legally, partially blind (as some of you may know). I have some sight in my right eye, which really perplexes people when they find that I am going into the computer industry.

A part of my college curriculum requires taking courses that are preparatory for the A+ Certification exams. I am very dedicated to computers, and I am absolutely positive that it is what I want as my career (not because of money, but just because I love the challenge and endless possibilities).

I just wanted to ask others (who have experience with the A+ examination) what exactly it entails, and if someone with a visual disability would have a chance of passing it. I know that it will probably be difficult, but I am determined to do the best that I can.

Any opinions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to respond to it. I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I just want to find out opinions of others in the Information Technology field because going through college and achieving as much as I can is essential to my career advancement as with my disability (as frustrating as this may be) I must prove through certifications and such that, although I have a disability, I can do what I have dedicated myself to.

Thanks, everyone.

Taking the A+ exam involves sitting at a computer and answering a bunch of multiple choice questions. I passed it about a year ago with just checking out a couple of books from the library(and my own hands on experience at home). It can be very frustrating learning about OLD technology but sadly it will be required for you to pass the test. I literally had to read the stuff i didn't care about and knew i would never use over and over again to get it to absorb.

IF you can see the monitor and you know the answers you should have no problem. Just don't stress out and don't CRAM. Give yourself a good month to read the books and absorb all the garbage you probably won't need to know with modern systems and you'll be fine.

Do NOT waste your money on a preperatory class. I almost wasted 1500 dollars on something i learned for free from the library.

P.S. Ok it's not all garbage. But a good part of it is.

ya the test aint bad i hear i need to take it but i dont wanna shell the cash out to take the software and hardware my teachers in colllege recommended just getting one of the big A+ books and study it. READ UP on dos alot .

InterKnight

Thanks for the replies.

I have assistive technology here at home called ZoomText that I use for computer use. I was asked by a partial owner of a computer store yesterday if I would voluntarily work with him so that he could see how I did. They did not have the assistive technology I use there, but Windows Magnifier was present. I was eccstatic to hear that the part-owner really liked working with me; he told me that I did a great job.

As far as the books go, the class I am taking at the college is mandatory for a degree, anyhow, so I would have to take it whether or not I wanted to. I have a machine here at home called a Close Circuit Television (CCTV) which I use to read. I am very thankful for having the sight I do because I love to read. And the book for the course is about seven pounds (literally) and it covers a lot of things from DOS, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and NT. I think there is even material in it about Windows 3.1x.

I'll have no problem answering questions, but my concern falls in the hardware. I still have yet to gain experience in replacing hard drives, floppy drives, and other parts. I am sure it will not be too difficult, as I once knew a completely blind individual who could build computers on his own.

Anyway, thanks for the replies; they are greatly appreciated.

Take care.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
My biggest fear is that even if you find a job working as a computer tech, you may not always have the luxury having assisted technology on the computer to fix it. How do you handle doing operating system installs? What happens when someone is having issues with their Video card and you can't see the screen.

I think it is great that you don't let your disability discourage you. Just making you aware that it could be difficult at times to troubleshoot pc's. Alot of us that do have perfect vision have really bad days troubleshooting these darn things that are suppose to help make our lives easier.

InterKnight

Thanks for the insight, Squashman.

Actually, many of the things you mentioned I have thought about. As far as operating system installation, I have done that too many times on my own computer. I have even done work with the Recovery Console on some computers I've worked on in the past. At one point I even went through a Linux install.

Here's something kind of funny, though: My neighbor's boyfriend basically took over her computer and took Windows XP off of it, installing Fedora Core 4 instead. My neighbor was not happy as she is not used to the Linux environment. He did not do anything about Java plugins or anything. I found that the Web browser that was included on FC4 had a feature where if Ctrl-+ would enlarge the size of the Web page text. I fixed all of her problems in a short matter of time, with hardly ever messing with Linux...all from doing a little reading.

As for the hardware, that will take some work...but I know that it can be done.

I can read command lines pretty well as well with the text contrast and such.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Take care.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online