1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A change in receiving E-Mail on a shared PC

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by neary, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neary

neary Thread Starter

I asked for and received help from Phantom 010 on this site, about not being able to open some E-mail.His prompt reply solved the problem, However when installing the recommended download, my neighbor who was helping me left me with another problem.
    We are running XP and using Outlook Express.
    My wife and I share a single PC, with all the incoming E-mail going to my side.She goes to my side as she wishes to read incoming mail.Now all incoming mail goes to both her side and my side.

What do we have to do to restore the way we had originally,I:E ALL THE INCOMING MAIL GOING TO MY SIDE ONLY?

Like I said earlier, after coming home from a year in the desert, it takes a while to catch up.
    Any help will be appreciated !!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please edit the email address out of your post. We only help on the open forum, and the address will just attract spam for you.

What do you mean by "your side" and "her side"?

3. neary

neary Thread Starter

TerryNet

4. neary

neary Thread Starter

TerryNet
    I tried to get my e-mail address off of the msg, and couldnt do it.
    Phantom was a big help and gave me the right info to correct a problem I had with opening some E-mails.It involved downloading a file, and as I said after being in the Desert for a year, my neighbor helped to download and finishing correcting
    that problem.
    Another small one developed.
    We have a single laptop running XP and using Outlook Express. I am logged in as user one and she is user two.
    The way it has been was ALL the incoming E-mail would come in on my side ONLY. However she could SEND from her side.
    Now all Incoming mail is now going to BOTH of our sides. We would like to restore the feature where all E-mail would come in to user one (Myside)

Can you help????

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Email doesn't just "come in." The user has to use an email client to ask for it. Either don't open Outlook Express, or open it but do not fetch new mail. I'm not very familiar with OE but know that you needn't manually ask for mail and am pretty sure that you can set it to not fetch mail on launch and not periodically check for mail.

6. neary

neary Thread Starter

TerryNet
    Thanks for your response
    With Outlook Express we have an icon on the desktop that says "Shortcut to E-mail" . We use COX for internet and cable service. Our E-Mail(S) will stay on their servers untill I (user one) clicks on the E-mail icon..When I click on "Shortcut to E-mail, all the mail that has been accumulating will download to user one, and will not download to "User two." It NOW downloads also to user two. How do we get back to the original set-up, Download to user ONE only?? Thanks for you help!!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How did you have it set up before?

Are you indicating that with OE, even though you are using two different user accounts, the OE settings for the one email account cannot be different for the two user accounts?

8. neary

neary Thread Starter

Terry Net
    I appreciate your help, but I just dont have the knowledge to answer to those questions.We took our set to the shop some time ago to have VISTA replaced with XP.
    Maybe if I can be more lucid in describing our problem, you could be in a better position to help us.
    We have a Dell INSPIRON E1705,using Outlook Express.
    It worked for us like this. I'm user one and Barb is user Two. Barb NEVER downloaded messages on her side.I did ALL the downloading on my side.If Barb wanted to read an E-mail she would "Switch User" and come to my side to view it.
    Why you ask?
    If (When) she would click on E-mail on her side, then EVERYTHING that I had in my inbox would be sent to her (USER TWO) in addition to the newly received msg.
    If I was keeping 25 e-mails, and say Barb was expecting an E-mail and opened on her side, She would get the new mail along with the 25 that are still on my side.
    Please dont tell me to keep my IN box empty.

Again, thanks for listining to my tale of woe!!!.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Were you using Vista before? If so, what email client? Unless it was the Windows Mail that is only in Vista maybe you could go back to it if it works better for you than OE.

Have you and Barb considered her not using OE at all, and just accessing the mail via web mail?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice