1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Classic Mess

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpu_aggression, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpu_aggression

cpu_aggression Guest Thread Starter

Okay, I'm going to explain the whole situation so hopefully whoever is reading this will feel my pain:

I told my landlord that I would be able to fix her computer (an hp pavilion 754n). It's your standard home office PC. She told me that the computer was given to her by the people who originally owned the apartment. They said she could have it because it had a virus and it need to be wiped clean, it was also missing a power cord, monitor and a mouse & keyboard.

I tell my landlord that in order to wipe her computer I will need those four things. She says okay and goes out and buys a monitor, (a Samsung SyncMaster 910t) a power cord and a mouse & keyboard (Wireless Microsoft USB). So 200 and something dollars later she brings back the tools I needed to wipe her computer.

Here comes the mess!

I can't install the Samsung monitor drivers onto the computer because I can't get to the startup screen and even if I did, I can't see anything because the monitor won't work without the proper drivers. I have the same problem with the mouse and keyboard.

Wait, it gets worse:

My landlord bought the monitor off of craigslist so there's basically a no return policy and she bought the power cord and keyboard at Radio Shack (and if you've ever been to Radio Shack you should know how they can be when it comes to returning items).

So I basically have to find out a way to make this work. If someone could save me from this one big "mess" I got myself in, that would be awesome!

2. stephencc

stephencc

sounds more like a video card issue, i don't think you need drivers for a monitor to work, generic drivers are usually already configured..you sure the video isn't burned out on the computer?

3. Compiler

Compiler

Its a 4 year old HP with P4 2.5Ghz / 512mb RAM.

You don't need video drivers for monitor to work.

Main menu? Windows (OS) or BIOS?

You should have told her where to buy parts. Radio Shack? What did she spend $200 on? That 19" Samsung is 4 years old... used 19" displays usually go for $100 at the most. Oh... $40~60 for MS Wireless and $5 for a power cord (perhaps $20 from RadioShack).

Reset the CMOS... see if that helps. But you should be able to get BIOS at least... then the menu as its a non GUI type system... and then run the restore function... if it still lives. Otherwise...

Get your hands on an OEM WindowsXP disc (home edition most likely) and download all the drivers from HP and do a clean install.... which you would most likely have to do anyways.

If you cant get the boot/recovery menu or BIOS...the computer has bad video or orther serious problems.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

cpu_aggression

I've removed the foul language from your post. Please review our rules regarding profanity.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi cpu_aggression

I have edited your thread. There is no need to use profanity.
    Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

Thank you

6. cpu_aggression

I can't. I am unable to see the windows start up menu I can't even view the boot up screen. The monitor isn't picking up the signal.

7. cpu_aggression

Okay, okay, I get it, watch my mouth, I'm sorry (you can stop monitoring me now).

Thank you for those trying to help me out!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How do you know the computer is even starting up? You can do a quick check with the monitor on your computer. I'll bet it works, and the problem is with that computer. Monitors, keyboards, and mice don't need drivers for basic functionality.

9. arknorth

arknorth

Remember, HP computers have a green light on the back to note that they are powered, and a master power switch on the back as well.

Also, restoring that computer is as simple as pressing the F10 key when the HP logo comes up on the screen (if and when the screen actually works that is) This computer restores from the hard drive's restore partition.

Does the computer look like the previous owner may have tinkered with it (all those missing parts make me think they may have done so). And if so, are there more than one VGA jack on the back of the machine?

A-N

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice