1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A complicated Everquest problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Loth, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loth

Loth Thread Starter

I know there are plenty of threads about EQ freezes but I haven't seen any resolutions that work for my problem.

My computer freezes completely forcing me to unplug it to reboot. The freezes only seem to happen while I am in, what would be considered, indoor areas in the game. These freezes are random and don't seem to be connected to specifically graphic intense areas(i.e. I am facing a wall and can crash or in a crowd but always in towns or dungeons).

I've upgraded my chipset from both the Via webpage and the E-Machine. I've upgraded to Direct X 9(had same issue with 8.x). I've upgraded all sound and video drivers to current. I've upgrade my power supply from a 250w to a 400w. I've removed my modem and made space for the video card to avoid heat issues. I've had a household fan placed next to the open case and it still froze so it's not a heat issue with the video card. I've deleted files, as directed by eq support, and had them patched with no result. I've completely re-installed EQ and all its modules up to Planes of Power. I've run a benchmark test on the video card and it showed no problems. I've run a packet loss test and have no problems with my ISP.

What else can I possibly do to get this game to run? I've seen a lot of people saying they have similar issues and are also running AMDs. Is there anyway to test this without having to replace the processor? Also, could the geforce card be the issue? Would a Prophet 5400 be a better choice for a video card?

Thanks for any help.

Sys specs:
    E-Machine T2460
    Win XP home
    AMD Athlon 2400 Via chipset
    384 megs DDR ram
    Geforce 3 TI 200 video card
    Sound Blaster PCI
    Cable modem connection

2. kouzou_fuyut

kouzou_fuyut

I had a similar issue in SWG with my MSI GeForce 3. I also run an AMD processor. One of the things that I did was to go into the BIOS and disabled my AGP port acceleration. Only go into the BIOS if your comfortable with that sort of thing though - and write down the old settings in case your changes make things worse.

AMD Athlon XP 1.4 GHz
    Abit KG7
    4x256 MB DDR RAM
    MSI GeForce 3
    Promise FastTrak100TX2 RAID
    4X40 GB WD HDD (Striped)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice