1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A couple of interesting announcements from Microsoft.

Discussion in 'Personal News & Announcements' started by Skivvywaver, Feb 15, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

2. hewee

hewee

Bad part is...
    Version 7 will only work under Windows XP and Service Pack 2, leaving many users out in the cold.

IE 7.0 Leaves Windows 2000 Users Out in the Cold
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1765331,00.asp

But that also leaves 95, 98 and ME in the cold. about 50% of the people out there still use 98.

3. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

:p

man oh man. what a sales pitch to increase profits. you do not have XP(SP2) and you are.....

Leave it to big brother, to come up with another winner. Wonder what they are going to do with that anti-virus they just purchased.

4. cheese

cheese

My comment on the IE7: They want money.

My comment on spyware program: None really..since it hasent detected anything for me [​IMG]

5. mach9

mach9

The anti-spyware program will be free for home users. Will charge enterprise for it. I think I won't become a big company anytime soon, soooo. :D

6. hewee

hewee

MS wants you to feel that your be safe or safer if you upgrade your OS etc and then get there anti-spyware program.
    But look at all the OS's out there that are getting the bad things on them and how many are XP, SR-2 so how were things made safer.

7. mach9

mach9

Hewee: Firefox. (Sortof.)

8. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

if all else fails. we can turn puters off and go to the old pen, paper and stamp.

LOL

9. cheese

cheese

Tic-Tac-Toe through the mail! Sounds exciting..

10. khalil1974

khalil1974

Hope this version 7 works wonders than the previous one....

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

With IE 6 Microsoft gave us a sieve. Now 4 years later it is still being patched to hold water. I run IE exclusively, I still run MS virtual machine. I patched up my machine 3rd party style and I don't get haxxed or infested with spyware/malware.

12. hewee

hewee

I know :rolleyes:

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I wouldn't be to worried about version 7 not running on win2000. A little bird told me it will be able to run with a little help..

14. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

You bet Harry! , and, we like it! And, I don't feel cold at all :D !!!

Of course, I don't do anything too heavy or much gaming at all so I can get away with 98SE and have cable service.
    Trick is to find the good shareware or freeware that works well....there is a ton of software around but quite a difference among even the most popular ones and ones that really excel at what you want to do vs. size and resources use.

My 98SE machines still snap to and browse quickly with no hassles...I even see win95 233mhz's that are time-wise quicker than XP's that are loaded down "out of the box" with all kinds of useless things running. XP, when you slim it down and tweak it, can be a great thing.

The spyware business I think is and will get a lot worse before it gets better- and we will need all the help we can get. Used the MSAntispyware program on a couple of XPs and it did find some odd bits left over but nothing that the regular programs missed...havent tried it just by itself on a badly infected pc yet and don't know if I want to...

Glad that Microsoft has finally got users something to at least help the situation. When new operating systems come out, it is often the case that along with it comes the abandonment of older OSes....just not long ago, 98 was almost put out of the online Windows Updates bit> that date is still coming I hear...hope they push it back a couple of more years for us.

15. hewee

hewee

Byteman,

I am happy with my 98SE and using netscape. I keep my PC clean too.
    He hee I wonder what my old P-200 would do online with cable be like. I don't have a network card in it so it never been used with cable. But it was a slower PC but faster in other ways. Real slow edo memory. Them simm memory came out after I got mine. Only 2 MB of video too.
    But really if I added all the anti-spyware I have now on that PC I bet it would get really slow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice