1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A couple of problems with a refurbished HP w/Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Entelechy, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Entelechy

Entelechy Thread Starter

Hi Tech Team.

So I got sent a refurbished HP Compaq nc6400 last week. It had Windows XP Pro already installed and also came with a backup disk. But right away, I noticed that there were some things wrong. Again, I'm not very tech savvy; but I will explain as best I can to come off like I am. :cool:;)

For one thing, some windows would pop up just off the screen(like the EQ window in VLC Media Player)and I would have to drag/maximize them. I was told on another forum that it looks as though my computer was previously set up as a dual monitor situation. But they never really gave me a remedy to fix this. I checked under monitors on the desktop and made sure that the primary monitor was *1*(and that 2 was inactive) but this problem still persists. But this is the smaller problem.

The larger problem is that sound only comes out of the right speaker. I fiddled with all of the sound options on the control panel. No change. I googled this problem and found a lot of similar complaints just like this; but no real solution. I called HP headquarters and they told me to uninstall/reinstall Soundmax. I did that. But still- nothing. Just sound from the right speaker. When I plug in my headphones, the left and right play fine. Since the complaints on google are several years old, I was wondering if there was a simple solution that I may have overlooked.

Thanks, and also if you guys know of any efficient ways to accelerate/boost bandwidth speed, please let me know.

2. Entelechy

Entelechy Thread Starter

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Programs remember the last-used position of windows. Once you open a program, position the window, close it, and open it again, it should open where you closed it.

Did you try another set of speakers?

4. Entelechy

Entelechy Thread Starter

Not yet. But headphones work fine. So is that the only solution? Fork out the cash and buy speakers???

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's how you troubleshoot. You try different things. You can pick up a pair of cheap speakers at Wal-Mart, and if they don't resolve the issue, take them back. Or if you have a friend with speakers, borrow theirs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!