1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Couple of Technical DSL Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JRSellers, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JRSellers

JRSellers Banned Thread Starter

A while back, I asked a DSL provider about the distance betwween my house and the nearest DSL central office, which is about 6 miles away. Here's the partial response I got:

Question #1: How many miles is 18,000 feet? I'm sure it's less than 6 miles.
    Question #2: Why are the DSL cables so short?

Today, I ordered it anyway from my phone company, and a technician is coming later this week to install it for me.

After it's all hooked up, if it doesn't connect, I'll have to cancel the whole shebang.

I really hope it works cuz I'm getting fed up with this dialup connection on these very crappy voice-grade phone lines.

2. sekirt

sekirt

THAT is your technical question?

You would solve it by knowing how many feet are in 1 mile and then divide 18,000 by that figure. Windows has a built in calculator to assist you.
    Start->Programs->Accessories.

Depending on which Country you use or what definition you use, you can find the length of a mile here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

sekirt

3. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

haha, this has to be the best techy question ever asked!

18000 feet is aproximately 3.2 miles. Sorry mate,

Dsl cables dont have a fixed length persay, your provider just isnt very nice. Try to see if theres any wireless providers near you. Im on a wireless connection and the provider is 8 miles away but cos I have line of sight I get the connection and its damn good.

But take note that the form says 18000 as the crow flies, and the miles between you and the provider is probably road distance. Unless its a straight road to your provider then theres a good chance you might still be near enough

4. JRSellers

Why ya' wanna be hatin'? :rolleyes:

I already know it's 5280 feet, but I just need to to know if it's 5280 / 18000 (which = 0.29333333333333333333333333333333) or 18000 / 5280 (which = 5.5555555555555555555555555555556e-5).

Now, apparently I made a mistake cuz rebelmusic said the approx answer is 3.2 miles, which is a # I can understand.

Your mistake was a$$uming that I wanted a math lesson.

5. JRSellers

I guess I'll find out Thursday when the technician arrives.

The lady I talked to when I ordered it said that if it doesn't work that I would not incur any charges.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Geez!

Both incorrect.

18000/5280 = 3.4090909

sekirt

7. JRSellers

I have another question that's sorta related I guess.

T1 and T3 connections, are those only available for businesses?

8. sekirt

sekirt

Using this for a search term in Google: T1 residential got quite a few hits. One ad said as low as $459 for full T1. If you have an office at your residence, you wouldn't have any problem. Otherwise, don't know.

sekirt

9. JRSellers

Alright, I admit it I'm a mathmatical dummy...happy?

10. sekirt

sekirt

Now, now, let's not go there. I did point out in my original post what to divide by what because you didn't seem to know. But it wasn't my intent to anger you. It just didn't seem all that technical.

sekirt

11. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Okay i did in my head and was off by point 2!!!! My internal calculator is malfunctioning, i wonder if I can get a service pack for it

12. sekirt

sekirt

I definitely cheated. I used a calculator. No one should trust my brain for math problems.

sekirt

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The limit for DSL is one of the physical affect of the phone cable on the signal. Beyond a certain distance, the signal level is too low to be useable.

14. JRSellers

I'd type a well-thought out reply right now, but I gotta cold, and I feel like crap.

15. tlund_99

tlund_99

Just for your info....your DSL service comes over the same two wires as your phone service....also your DSL provider should be able to tell you if you qualify for DSL service without coming to your house...they can check the line at the Central office.If you qualify they will install filters on your home phones to separate the voice signals and the DSL signals.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice