1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MOcoko, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOcoko

MOcoko Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mali
    The problem started awhile ago when i went to open up Google chrome a message opened with the location of file and also a message saying 'A device attached to the system is not functioning.'. After that i started to open up other browsers then i opened up just a random .exe file and i realized that the problems weren't just the browsers and programs is was also use the cd-rom.

please help! :]
    thanks

2. FaithfulSon

FaithfulSon

The easiest method to start troubleshooting this is to start removing all external devices.

This means all devices and hardware you have attached to it. This means any printers, modems, external hard drives, flash drives, cd-roms whatever you connected to the outside of the PC, that's what you need to disconnect.

If you see everything is functioning for a few hours or even a day or so, you can start connecting each disconnected device separately for a long period until you have found the culprit.

If you still see the error after disconnecting all external devices, then you need to start thinking about the internals of the PC. Could it be a driver issue, could it be a failing card in the pc etc. Cross that bridge when you get to it, if you get to it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice