1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Different Beep & SndVol Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ellen1910, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen1910

Ellen1910 Thread Starter

It's driving me crazy so I'm asking now, but it's after 1AM here and I may not be able to participate till tomorrow.

I rebuilt a computer for my niece -- WindowsXP SP3. As I usually do, I put a shortcut to sndvol32.exe on the desktop, and because that applet beeps when the slider is moved I disabled "beep" in Device Manager. Everything was working fine -- no beep -- and had been for days when I put aside the computer five days ago. Tonight I started it up and the beep was back on the sndvol slider.

Device Manager showed a red x on "beep". Right clicking "beep" offered the opportunity to disable "beep" (obviously I expected it to say I could
    enable it). I clicked disable; restarted and returned. The red x was still there and the beep was still active on the sound volume applet. Device Manager now offered the opportunity to enable "beep". I tried that, rebooted and returned. The red x was gone, and the beep was active on the applet -- as expected. Disabled it again, got the red x but still got a beep.

Finally I uninstalled "beep". Rebooted and "beep" was gone from Device Manager -- but the beep sound was still on the volume control. Rebooted again -- without clicking on "beep" -- and "beep" reappeared in Device Manager.

I'm at my wits end. Any ideas? what I'm doing wrong? overlooking?

Edit: Is it the case that disabling "beep" only works if one or more -- or all -- "Windows sounds" are silenced via the Control Panel? If so, which sounds?

And why all the crazy OS actions I experienced?

Edit 2: It appears that if the Windows Sound "Default Beep" is "no sound" disabling the Device Manager's "beep" will stop the sndvol slider from beeping.

Still -- what was all the craziness?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice