A different kind of question RE:blue screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chili

the blue screen comes up, & computer shuts down so quickly that i can never read enough to get any info pertaining to the problem.!?

any way of finding out what it says.? after the fact (after it reboots)

thanks
chili

Does your machine run for a while before shutting down? If so, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup & Recovery Settings button, and uncheck the box at the bottom about automatically restarting. This may give you a chance to read the blue screen.

When does it come up, on boot up, after just sitting there, after running a particular program. If you boot to safe mode does it give the same blue screen error.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
If you press F8 before it starts to boot, you will get a menu of boot options. One of these is an option NOT to reboot on error. Select that and continue the boot. It should now Stop on the BSOD.

Have you been able to determine what precedes the blue screen? Does it appear at any particular time or under any particular circumstances?

The error number and file name, if available from the blue screen, will help quite a bit.

chili

yea i just learned how to stop it from restarting automatically, so now next time it does it i'll have some more info.!

but no it does it at the most random times sometimes when im on the net, sometimes just screwin around with itunes, etc.. as a matter of fact i left it (my pc) on while i was at work, & I noticed it rebooted itself while i wasn't even home. lol

so no i dont see any type of pattern.

thanks

"so now next time it does it i'll have some more info" - That will be great. The more info the better.

To continue your testing, have you tried to see if it does this from safe mode as well?

chili said:
yea i just learned how to stop it from restarting automatically, so now next time it does it i'll have some more info.!

but no it does it at the most random times sometimes when im on the net, sometimes just screwin around with itunes, etc.. as a matter of fact i left it (my pc) on while i was at work, & I noticed it rebooted itself while i wasn't even home. lol

so no i dont see any type of pattern.

thanks
That makes it all the more difficult to diagnose. But many memory problems, as well as heating problems, show such a pattern. Try running a memory test overnight to see if it might hit the right moment. Then you can also try other hardware tests, too, to see what they show.

With intermittent problems of this type, you may need to leave the tests running for long periods for an error to occur.

The blue screen may or may not give us useful or correct information. Better have a backup plan.

chili

ok here we go, actually im not sure if i got it all cuz some of the text was off to the left side of the blue screen.

stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF9E1D6C, 0xAC511548, 0x00000000)

*ATi2dVAg.dLL - Address BF9E1DGC BASE AT BF9D3000, DATESTAMP 415aa910

*this is where i might be missing something, from what i can see it starts with ATi2...

mean anything to anyone.!? cause it sure doesn't to me.!!

i have a AMD Athlon 64 Prosseser
3500+
2.02 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

thanks
chili

OK. That is a driver for your ATI video card.

Go to Safe Mode and remove the driver in Add/Remove. Then run one of these utilities to be sure that all the old drivers are cleaned out:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3214
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3233

Reinstall a new Catalyst driver in Safe Mode and you should be all set (we hope). You can get the latest driver for your card here:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=3358

Do you know what card you have (probably a Radeon)?

If you have a fan on your video card, be sure it is spinning freely, that the cooling fins are clean, and that air-flow is not impeded to the card.

chili

ok so here is what its said the next two times its done it.!!

2 days ago-
stop - 0x0000000A (0x0000000C, 0x0000000FF, 0x00000000, ox80531A63)

then the next time just happened -
stop - 0x0000000A (0X86FF4A3C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804E7820)

THANKS IF ANYONE CAN HELP PIN POINT THE PROBLEM.
chili

i think im getting the same error but i have had my ram for ages... any indications on how ram just suddenly gets faulty? because when i open too many programs i get that BSOD and then it says dumping physical memory so i just restart

Ok i think i have that on my UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) but it could be an older version... what version am i looking for? and i think this takes about 8 hrs to complete doesnt it? but thanks i will have a look around

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online