1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A disk read error occured. Press alt-ctl-del

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtbarr64, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtbarr64

mtbarr64 Thread Starter

I am having this issue repeatedly. While able to correct with an Acronis Partition restore, I need to find the real solution.

I have a DELL Inspiron 600m Laptop. I swapped out the 60 Gig Toshiba HD with a WD 160 Gig Scorpion in July 2007. Everything worked fine until this year when I hit the magical space usage of 100 Gig.

There is speculation on the web (via a google search) that these large drives (120G and above) are not usable on the 600m, but I just checked the Dell site for user installable hardware and found my exact WD Scorpion model (wd1600beve) listed in the "upgrade" section for my system. I could buy this HD right now online.

After I copy a file that puts me beyond this boundary the system get the "a disk read error occurred. Press alt-ctl-del" on the next reboot of the system. I tried doing a fixmbr, bootcfg rebuild and none of this helped. I used to be able to run the XP disk to start the repair console, yet now the repair console startup hangs.

I can access the drive fully, doing a backup or copying of the drive using a USB drive adapter cable on the hard drive with another computer.

I can restore the backup copy of the partitions from Acronis using a USB Drive adapter cable and the problem goes away. That is until I save more large files. Say restoring all the data since the backup was done previously.

Every diagnostic for DELL and WD comes back fine. I can access the data on another system using the USB cable.

It seems like the MBR/Boot partition is getting trashed/overwritten by something. Any ideas? I updated the BIOS to the latest from DELL and that did not help.

The HD is still under warranted and can be replaced, but I want to make sure of this before going this route.

What about splitting the drive into two logical drives? I don't want to go this route.

I had the three year service contract with DELL and of course never had to use it, now they won't even give me the time of day because it is "expired."

Thanks for any assistance.

2. stevecook

stevecook

3. mtbarr64

mtbarr64 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. The drive is a 2.5" EIDE (ATA-100).

Not any cables to replace that I am aware of in the laptop. Without opening the laptop pretty sure it is integrated into the motherboard. There is an adapter to change the pins that slips onto the back of the drive to adapt it to the DELL setup.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice