1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Disk Read Error Occurred, Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mark456, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark456

mark456 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help with a serious bootup problem on a relatively new/unused PC..
    After the computer locked up with no reasonable cause, it displays the following message on start up
    “Disk Read Error Occurred, Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart”

My computer had been really speedy up until this problem occurred. The “lockup” started after I tried to paste some text from a webpage into a word document. When I pressed Paste Word became unresponsive.. I waited and when it showed no signs of improving I tried to naviagate firefox which was already open, that also became unresponsive. Eventually I tried Ending the processis using task manager. Task manager was running but didn’t seem to end the processes I wanted. Al this happened in a few minutes, and by the end the only ting i could move was my mouse. I pressed reset. It then went through BIOS, then to a blank screen with a flashing curser in the top left, which after a few seconds shows me this chilling message

“Disk Read Error Occurred, Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart”

I’ve been stuck with this every time I try to boot up . Please help!

I have opened up the case with help and checked the power voltages coming from the power supply and out of hard drive power connecter.. they are normal. Since its a new setup to me I am unsure what the spec. Is but I can ofcourse find out if anyone wants more details about my system. Many people with the same error message problem have said the drive should work as a slave drive.. is this a sensible option to try given that the hard drive may be faulty? I’m not sure what is best to do now.. its quiete a worrying message and I don’t want to make the wrong move since my HDD contains much data! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated 

My operating system is XP and I have a Hitachi deskstar hard drive.

Thank you guys

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When you see that message in most cases the hard drive is failing or has failed.if you have things you dont want to lose try a usb sata/ide connector and see what you can salvage and then save it to a cd or dvd so it wont be lost forever.

3. mark456

mark456 Thread Starter

Hi SueOhio,

thanks for replying, This is what I fear of my hdd. I wouldnt want to lose anything, I have ordered a usb connector
    would you happen to know what type of the hard drive failure is most likely to cause this error message, assuming it is faulty? Also, if there is fault on the drive, could plugging it to another computer, with a usb, possibly make it worse, eg. if it is a corruption issue then could i just be wrecking it further? I have studied ICT before... wish I remembered it fully now! maybe i am being overly cautious but I just dont want to risk anything..

4. mark456

mark456 Thread Starter

worth adding - my hard drive hasn't made any strange noises, it sounded like it had powered on and started up fine the last time i tried to boot up, and it felt like the disc was spinning. Also, the name of the hdd is recognised in BIOS.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If the drive isnt completely dead a usb connector can be a lifesaver.i have one that has worked many times for me when needed.harddrives can fail without warning they dont always click. its not if they will fail its when.

6. mark456

mark456 Thread Starter

I hope there is still help out there..
    Sorry for taking so long to get back

So here's what happened; after following your instruction and plugging my hdd into a usb it basically locked up my laptop! It was recognised by Eindows but then not by Explorer....here is the step by step;

Upon powering up my hdd, everything seemed normal. disc was spinning, no worrying noises..when i connected it to my laptop's usb windows sounded an alert and "detected external hardware" immediately in the bottom right of the taskbar, and a second later told me the name of the device.

Promising so far.. but when I opened My Computer i couldn't see my drive letter. I guess out of desperation i clicked on the DVD drive (thinking it may have popped up as a dvd drive for some reason) and that's when explorer FROZE. And this is when I first noticed my external drive was making a repetitive sequence of faint yet audible noises (what I would describe as boot up-like clicking noises every 3-4 seconds) After a few moments, since windows was not shutting down fast enough and i was scared of the noises, I shut my laptop down manually and put my hard drive back to rest.

I have been trying to read up on what to do next but I hope this extra information can help get us further to narrowing down the cause! I have some thoughts but very interested to see what others have to say about this.. whether there is anything i should definitely or definitely not do...

Hitachi 164GB DeskStar made in 2006, jumpers set to “master”, with Windows XP installed..

Thanks alot for your time

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice