1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AlfyAlfinson, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlfyAlfinson

AlfyAlfinson Thread Starter

put together a new computer
    amd athalon 2 ghz
    1 gb ram
    biostar tf7025 mb

and had a good hd so didn't get a new, starting to think that was a mistake
    i'm using a 160gb western digital hd
    I reformat with xp pro it loads all the setup files and reboots to start setup and comes up with
    a disk read error has occured
    press ctrl+alt+del to restart

i can't figure out what the problem is it is driving me crazy

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it booting from the CD or the hard drive? What do you see before the error?

3. AlfyAlfinson

i tried to install xp off cd it ran fine recognized the hard drive and loaded all the files then rebooted to that

4. AlfyAlfinson

it is booting fro the hard drive

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Aha! Not at the very beginning then. Do you get the same "Press Any Key To Boot From CD" message at the bottom on the first reboot, and then you do not press any key, correct?

6. AlfyAlfinson

yes if I press 'any key' it loads the same files reboots and goes back to the error

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably want to test that drive. Look at some of these. Some have bootable CD's or floppies that you can use to scan the drive. Or you can use one of the links at the bottom to find a test from your drive's manufacturer. HDAT2 and MHDD are the best ones for this purpose of the generic utilities.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

Doesn't look good for the drive, but I suppose the error could be referring to the CD, too, so make sure it is clean and unscratched, and consider it a suspect unless the utilities tell you for sure that it is the HD.

8. AlfyAlfinson

I don't think the hard drive has a problem because i just took it out of another computer and put it in this one it was working fine before
    but i look at what you've got

also i had a 4gb hard drive i tried it and it worked fine but was too small for my use
    i wondered if the size could cause the problem

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I suppose that is a possibility. What version of XP are you installing? The original "Gold" version only supported drives up to 137 GB's.

10. AlfyAlfinson

i'm installing xp pro with slipstreamed sp2

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then size shouldn't be a problem. But you may want to check the BIOS and be sure that the drive is detected at the correct size. It should be set to autodetect, but the parameters could have been set manually and they are for a different drive. Are you sure the jumpers are right, too? If your BIOS has some sort of "default" or "setup" option for all the settings, try that.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the drive already partitioned? You could try partitioning it ahead of time, like 40/120 or something and formatting before trying to install.

13. AlfyAlfinson

i've set it to everything in the bios and have tried set default
    jumpers on hd are correct
    not sure if there are any jumper for that on the motherboard but they are all still in factory position

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's already partitioned, you could always boot from the XP CD and choose the "R" on the first screen to run chkdsk /r on the drive, since that will also tell you in its results if it found any bad sectors. And maybe there is a file system error, too.

The read error that soon, though, could mean that the problem is at the very beginning of the drive where the MBR is written. If that is the case, then the drive could have worked fine before so long as it was not a boot drive and still have a problem now.

15. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Have you used this slipstreamed XP disc on another system to prove that it works?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice