1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ccdand?, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    Hi, I'm running XP Pro on a custom machine. When my husband turned on the computer this a.m. he kept receiving the message "A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart". I pulled the drive and was able to access & back up the drive with no problem. After putting it back and receiving the message again, I tried chkdsk & chkdsk /p from the recovery console and it stated no problems. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for your help.

2. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    I also just tried a chkdsk /r and it stated that "chkdsk found and repaired one or more errors" but I still receive the same error message.

3. tbramamam

tbramamam

Since you have backed up your files, you will be safe reinstalling Windows. Given the fact that chkdsk found and corrected errors, but you are still having problems, you will probably want to replace the hard drive. The one you have is probably starting to fail. You could try reinstalling Windows (remove and recreate the partition first), but if the drive is failing then you will just have to redo everything when you replace the drive.

4. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    thanks for the reply. i reinstalled windows but instead of buying a new drive, i'm going to just buy a new pc since this one is about 10 yrs. old. does anyone have any recommendations for a decent pc? it will mostly be used for my husband's home inspection software (3D Inspection - which eats up a lot of memory & needs a fast processor), photo editing/storage, and internet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice