1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roger30236, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roger30236

roger30236 Thread Starter

Hey guys, first post.

I have read some others with this problem but none helped me.

Basically everytime I start up my computer I get this message.
    I try to repair install but everytime I boot from the cd it tries to boot then goes to a blank screen and does nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Windows XP

I reformatted about 4 times.

2. roger30236

I tried using the Windows XP home disk and I boot from the disk.
    It goes to the first screen when booting with the writing at the top,
    not sure what it says but its the screen before the setup screen.
    Instead of going to the set up screen, it goes to a blank black screen.

I tried making a Windows xp recovery console disk and it does the exact same thing.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It says "Press any key to boot from CD" or similar and it lasts only about three seconds Miss that and it goes on to attempt a boot from the hard disk which you already know will fail. Be ready next time and press something to kick-start the process and let the system check the disk and get to the stage where you press Function 8 to accept the EULA licence terms then at the next screen, hit R for Repair. You'll then be prompted to select the installaation you want to repair and that will usually be number 1.

4. roger30236

yes i click once it says to press any key but:

Blank screen after "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I can only suggest you cut down the external hardware to keyboard mouse and monitor and try again. If it continues to do the same, there may be something radically wrong inside. From the initial error message you posted, it would appear to be the hard drive.. How long are you waiting before assuming nothing is happening?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice