1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ThisgGuy68, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThisgGuy68

ThisgGuy68 Thread Starter

A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

This is what my compaq lap top is saying upon restart. Using XP, I do not have any recovery or diagnostic disks.
    I have a new laptop and was using the compaq as a back- up. I hadn't used it much in the last month or so and when I turned it on, it was unusually slow.
    I attempted to defrag the hard drive, and it initialized(after it analyzed). During this time windows shut it down for an update to take effect. Upon restart, this is the message I got: A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. Not sure if this had something to do with restarting during defrag, but it seemed like an odd coincidence to me. I have read that an extremely slow computer can be a sign the HDD is going bad. It does not and did not make any noise. Any advice on where to go from here is welcome and appreciated.

2. ThisgGuy68

I should maybe also mention that the screen has an issue where it will have a horizontal line that goes straight across it, but that comes and goes. The battery also has a dead cell according to HP battery checker. I mainly want to recover some important stuff from the hard drive if anyone could recommend a program I can burn onto cd with my good laptop and maybe try to use in the compaq, that would be great! I assume I only have to change the boot order to try that. By the way, it is a compaq presario V5305WM(V5000). Not sure why that never showed up but I know it's good to have the most information possible. Can't say for certain what service pack it was, I want to say 3, even though I thought there was a SP4. I did keep it updated pretty regularly. The HDD failed the advanced test in under 10 seconds, haven't run the short test.

3. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear ThisgGuy68,
    I suggest you to do two things.

1) Download "SysInspector(free)" from : http://www.eset.eu/en/eset-sysinspector . Once installed,remember to scroll down to the very bottom of the license agreement to click on "i accept":Dlol.
    Download Acronis Drive Monitor" from : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/drive-monitor/

When you "cold-storage" a lappy for one month, it is natural for the battery to get fully discharged or as you said "may be dead"! I have seen it happen! Now that you have started re-using it ,i am passing on a very useful tip from one of my friends, "once the battery is fully charged,do not keep it plugged in ". It dislikes overnight charging! Only the laptop knows why!All the best!:)(y)

4. ThisgGuy68

Ok, so I should burn these programs to CD and then attempt to run them on the affected computer by changing the boot order to the cd-rom drive first? Or can I go into set-up to run them? OR will they just run automatically if I put the burned CD into the drive?
    Sorry I don't know these basic things, I am a noob. This will be the first CD I have ever burned( I DID immediately burn restore/ backup DVD's for the new lappy:)

5. perfume

perfume Banned

ThisGuy68,
    Burn these programs to CD//DVD and after inserting into the affected Lap's CD/DVD Drive,go to win.explorer, identify the icon of the removable drive, right-click on it and click on "open". Then ,install them on the affected computer and run!

6. ThisgGuy68

Ok, I burned them and changed to boot order to cd-rom first and it is still saying the same thing ( disk read error: press alt-ctrl-del). I checked the hard drive to make sure it was fully seated in the connection and noticed there is no jumper between the slave and master and for that matter, no jumper at all. I'm begining to wonder if the motherboard is the problem also.

7. ThisgGuy68

Any ideas?

8. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear ThisgGuy68,
    In that case, open "devise manager" and look for any yellow question mark opposite the removable drive. That should tell you what's what!(y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice