1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"A disk read error occurred"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Neg, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neg

Neg Thread Starter

Yeah... Well, I came to my computer and the screensaver was on, so I pressed the spacebar to make it go away and it just froze. After that I unplugged the thing and turned it back on. The sony Viao logo comes up, then the screen goes black and says "A disk read error occurred" and "Press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I press it and it restarts. Same thing, over and over. So now I'm on Ubuntu posting this... does anyone know what's wrong with my computer or how to fix it (I really don't want to reformat :()?

2. crazycooter

crazycooter

i have the same thing happen to me today too! i have no clue what to do. do you use a wi fi connection?

3. Neg

Neg Thread Starter

Nope... and I really have no idea what the problem could be...

4. Iceworx

Iceworx

before it flashes the io error, keep hitting your F8 button repeadetly and see if a windows menu comes up
    If you're getting this error in the bios DOS-like text screen and F8 doesn't work, either your hard drive, ram stick(s) and or motherboard probably needs repair

5. bernardus

bernardus

You introduced a read or file-error. It must be possible to run a chdsk /f with the setup CD.
    Normally only XP is able to repair a file or mft. But since you cannot start it must be done with the CD.

bernardus

6. brooksy

brooksy Banned

Hi There has been a disk Read error becasue there is bad sectors on the HDD you can try and fix these by using a XP Pro CD, booting to recovery console and running chkdsk /p /r This will try and fix the bad sectors, at the end of the scan it will say weather it fixed the bad sectors or not.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I second Brooksy's idea...

8. brooksy

brooksy Banned

Hi, Just wondering weather the idea i posted sorted out the problem, or led you to a way to sort the problem...

9. shishkabob

shishkabob

Hello, like most people on this thread i too have the disc read error problem and i have had it for like 3 weeks and i miss my PC. Can someone JUST tell me how to fix this because ever since this message appeared i have searched A BUNCH of forums and sites looking for the solution and i am really tired of doing that so if you know the solution PLEASE tell and ONLY the solution and if you need my computer specs or any other information in order to tell me the solution than tell me and when i get home to where my computer is i will provide the info you need ;) thanx in advance (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!