1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A drive disk not being Detected!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murdoc2k, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k Thread Starter

Hi, I had this weird problem lastnight... I was working on my assignment for school and I saved on my floopy "A"... everything was working until I unplugged the disk and re-inserted...

all of a sudden, when I told my computer to access A drive, it just kept loading non stop and when I removed the disk it said "Would u like to format this disk now?"

I am confused... its happened to me a few times already and then after a while it reads again..

does anyone know why this is happening and how to prevent it? :rolleyes:

2. McTimson

McTimson

Do you mean that you unplugged the whole drive, or you just took out the disk and put it back in?

3. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k Thread Starter

took out the disk and put it back in

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It sounds like the drive may not be completely level inside the computer and/or you aren't giving it enough time before you click on it. Also, the floppy drive itself may be in need of cleaning....grab a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of it.

5. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k Thread Starter

but it works all the time and never failed until recently...

6. ~Candy~

Then perhaps try cleaning it.....and if it has an oval opening, I've seen those start to do funny things after awhile, if they are just a teeney bit off of being exactly up to the front cover.....it's a hit and miss at times.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "its happened to me a few times already and then after a while it reads again.."

If a can of compressed air doesn't remedy it, its probably time for replacement. Floppy disks and drives are highly prone to dying. You have tried another disk?

8. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k Thread Starter

are there ways to maintain it so it wont' break so easily? :rolleyes: and if so, is there a way out of this problem?

I tried with second disk and gave me same problem

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All mechanical/electrical things break or fail - its a fact of life. keeping everything dust free is a good place tp start. A can of compressed air is a cheap thing to have - and can help with dust in the computer. There's also drive cleaning kits.

I suggest trying another disk drive - they're quite cheap (probably around the same price as a Compressed Air and a Drive Cleaning Kit together).

10. ~Candy~

You might also try hooking it up outside of the case to be sure it's not a situation where it isn't level in the case, or pushed far enough forward to where it picks up the disk you put into it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice